Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows who are the best way to get the height from a solid. I'm working on a single house in a sloped terrain, their wooden posts have different heights but with a standard notched end. 

The Issue begins when I try to get the heights from those "solid subtractions" on the worksheets. Normally I use the "framing member tool" to get those dimensions correctly, but in this case I've to make an extra operation because the notch. I've tried to convert them in other kind of objects like "generic solid", or "extrude along path" without success, I suppose there may be a formula or something that allows me to get the dimensions I need.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 1.12.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 1.12.33 PM.png

If you convert the object you need a height from into a symbol then the Z value of the insertion point will report to a worksheet. It looks to me from your picture that you maybe have only two or three types of objects to make. If there are lots of objects to replace with symbols, then select the objects and run the modify>convert>replace with symbol command.

Hope that makes sense

• Like 1
3 hours ago, fpaniz said:

I wonder if anyone knows who are the best way to get the height from a solid.

If I'm correct in assuming you're looking for the vertical length of your posts, I think you'll find what you need in this other thread -

Note that the other thread also discusses a related bug that you should be aware of, though I think you should be fine with solid subtractions or generic solids. I would go with Marissa's suggestion of using "=TOPBOUND-BOTBOUND" as your worksheet formula.

Kevin

• Like 1