HUGE Numbers on Coordinates Bar..

mattEDABLE

Question

Hi everyone, I've got a question that I can't find the answer to anywhere. I'm not even sure how to search for it.

Basically as you will see from below, the numbers that define the coordinate position in my VW file are ENORMOUS, yet when actually drawing lines (as the 230mm long one shown) the scale is correct.

Can anyone explain this? The design layer itself is set at 1:100 scale.

Many thanks in advance.

Matt

VW-screenshot.jpg

5 answers to this question

You have started drawing a very long way from the origin, so the absolution position of the object is very large. You need to either move the origin to the objects or move the objects much closer to the origin. You will likely have stage issues with the objects this far from the origin, both on screen redraw and rendering.

Hi Pat, many thanks for the above.

Looking into this, it does appear that I have managed to set my user origin as something other than 0,0. You can apparently tell this by the little crosshair being yellow instead of grey according to this: http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2018/eng/VW2018_Guide/Setup/Setting_the_User_Origin.htm

Do you know if there will be any sequential problems encountered if I 'reset' the origin back to 0,0? Or am I sort of stuck with this for now if I have viewports on sheets etc?

Thanks again.

M

The received wisdom is to always use the Internal Origin. As you know, you can set a User Origin, but this should really only be temporary IMO. If you have imported from elsewhere then it would be better to make sure the EVERYTHING is visible in classes and Layers and then move the whole drawing to the Internal Origin. The VWX data base should handle the change. Do this on a back-up file first though to make sure you are happy with the result before moving on with your work.

VWX can behave erratically when the user is a very long way from the origin especially with 3D rendered views. Hidden line views for me have on occasion been a bit buggy when I've inadvertently drawn 1000's of metres away from the origin.

@markdd probably has more experience with this than I do, but moving the origin to the drawing should work just as well as moving the drawing to the origin.

I THINK that if you move the origin your viewports should all still be OK. If you move the drawing on the Design Layer, then the crop will probably be off in space.

Try both options on a copy of your drawing and see what works best for you.