Architect 17-dormers/win

ParkerJames

Question

I've had VW for 20 years several versions and never had an issue placing windows in roofs. I've followed the direction numerous times and yet whenever I try to place a window symbol specifically created or not I cannot get the dialog box.

Mark me frustrated. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

13 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Could you send me the file where you are having trouble with this? I was not able to replicate this in a test file.

If you try this with a simple test roof in a new blank document on your end with a quickly made roof and window, what happens?

6 minutes ago, JimW said:

Could you send me the file where you are having trouble with this? I was not able to replicate this in a test file.

If you try this with a simple test roof in a new blank document on your end with a quickly made roof and window, what happens?

I will try that now and get back--thank you.

The test window here looks like it was comprised of 2D geometry only. Since roofs create dormers and skylights in 3D, it needs the 3D geometry that comprises the window. 

Once you have the 3D symbol (ungrouping a Window object configured to your liking while in a 3D view should get you what you need.) you cant just drag the symbol in the document onto the window, but using Symbol Insertion should do the trick.

6 minutes ago, JimW said:

The test window here looks like it was comprised of 2D geometry only. Since roofs create dormers and skylights in 3D, it needs the 3D geometry that comprises the window. 

Once you have the 3D symbol (ungrouping a Window object configured to your liking while in a 3D view should get you what you need.) you cant just drag the symbol in the document onto the window, but using Symbol Insertion should do the trick.

Its not--I took a 2D window, ungrouped it and then created a 2D/3D symbol. Have done this several times.

Just now, ParkerJames said:

I have done that and just now again. I am not using top plan view but have tried various 3D views including Top View...I have verified 3D componentry many times. The doggone Object Info panel tells me so as well as the Resource Manager.

LOL

Apologies, recheck my reply, i had to edit it.

2 minutes ago, JimW said:

Make sure to get in touch with tech@vectorworks.net in that case, there may be an issue with your installation, once I configured everything as described here I was able to insert the symbol without issue.

OK--thank you. I will do that.

Have a good evening.

I got in touch with tech and I hope that the answer will also help others.

After some going back and forth, apparently the only way this works is to simply drag the 3D window object from the resource browser directly to the roof object--this is contrary to all instructions, but that is the resolution.

Have a good day and thank you.