Fonts changing

I posted this in the wrong part of the forum. So reposting here. I hope someone can shed some light. Thanks:

I opened a file a had been working on only a few days previously and most fonts had changed to arial. Took about an hour to go through it to revert it back to my preferred arial narrow.

can someone explain why this could happen?

I opened it on the same machine. There was a Windows10  update but apart from that no changes.

Thanks for your response RickR.

No I didn't change the VW preferences or see any font replacement dialogue.

ive noticed similar thing happen occasionally when other colleagues open my files on their machines.

You may want to use a font management utility to check for damaged fonts or windows registry issues with regard to fonts. Sometimes windows messes with the installed fonts causing issues with display or availability.

Does your colleague has the same fonts installed as you? E.g. if your colleague does not have Arial Narrow installed (or any other font used in the drawing) VW may change the font to Arial and then when you get it back it may remain in Arial because you have that installed as well instead of reverting back to the installed Arial Narrow on your computer.

Are you or your colleague perhaps using a font management utility? I do and notice at times that fonts that used to be grouped in the font manager lose their grouping after an update of either windows or another software program because it installs a new version of an existing font (fonts to get updated at times, e.g. from version 1.001 to 1.002 if characters have been added or fixes were made to the font). Or fonts could be temporarily uninstalled through the font manager, also causing font replacement to kick in.

I don't know how susceptible Vectorworks is for font changes resulting from updates but it could be possible that in certain situations this might cause fonts changing.

There are other possibilities like an accidental change of fonts on selected text, or text styles getting overwritten because of an import from another file (like an imported dwg file always overwriting settings of existing classes, maybe under certain conditions the same might happen to text styles).

Despite the above, I don't recall having such font changes other than accidentally selecting a different font when text was selected or when a used font was disabled/uninstalled through the font manager.

It is very odd as my colleagues all have Arial Narrow installed as our office standard font for drawings.

We aren't using a font management utility (at least that I'm aware of).

So still a mystery. I am very wary now of window updates. I suspect this was the culprit.

It wouldn't be so bad if there was a quick way of changing the fonts back. Atm I have to go through every sheet layer and every viewport annotation layer.

Thanks for you response.

Wow that's pretty awesome! Did a quick test and seems to work in 2018. Even changed the fonts in my title blocks. Will test more thoroughly before using on an actual file but yes that will save me a good chunk of time next time around.

Thanks Pat :)

• 1 year later...

I have a similar problem. I work on a Mac at the office and sometimes work on the same projects at home, on a PC. The fonts look totally different although I installed the same font (Helvetica) on both. They spacing also looks different so the texts overlap terribly with each other. What's worse, sometimes the text of the dimensions or the grades mess up when I open the file on my PC so the next day on the Mac the numbers flip like a mirror. Vectorworks as a whole is much worse on PC. The graphic interface changes too much and publishing on a PC is never good. I thought it was a graphic driver issue since my laptop had no dedicated video card but now I have a decent Windows desktop gaming rig and the problem persists. I want VW to solve this and become really competitive in the PC world but maybe the developers don't see it that way and want to stay on the Mac niche.

It's weird because I also use Cinema4D from Maxon which is like a sister company and their interface/performance is completely seamless and very stable and solid between platforms. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2019 at 3:13 AM, RafaelPernia said:

I work on a Mac at the office and sometimes work on the same projects at home, on a PC. The fonts look totally different although I installed the same font (Helvetica) on both.

Just to make sure I got this correct... when you say you installed the same font on both computers do you mean the same font files or just the same font families from different font files? If the latter then this could explain the difference. You may want to use a font manager to check whether the fonts are really the same and having the same version number (though the latter is not a guarantee because some font creators do not always update the version number after updating their font files).

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2019 at 1:21 PM, Art V said:

Just to make sure I got this correct... when you say you installed the same font on both computers do you mean the same font files or just the same font families from different font files? If the latter then this could explain the difference. You may want to use a font manager to check whether the fonts are really the same and having the same version number (though the latter is not a guarantee because some font creators do not always update the version number after updating their font files).

Hi, I installed the same font file. Took it from the mac fonts folder and installed on Windows font folder. But also happens with other common fonts like arial narrow, etc

Thanks for your question