Camera Match 2017 Version (Image import question)

When I look at the image file I want to use the size of that image file is type 3-5mb.  However when I bring that image into vectorworks I see 2 prompts.  One idicates size is KB and then if you click into image attributes its showing 63MB.

Ive never really had to adjust image attributes, but some of our final renders seem to be producing large file sizes.  The view port is only 8"x6" roughly.  Wondering if what Im seeing here has any impact.  Hoping @Matt Panzer or anyone could shed a little light on this.

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 12.50.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 12.50.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 12.50.32 PM.png

Edited by HEengineering
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @HEengineering,

The raw image size is not the amount of space the image uses in your Vectorworks file. Vectorworks compresses images in either JPEG or PNG. PNG will give the best quality but JPEG may give you a smaller file size (depending on the amount of compression). You may want to experiment with both to see the results. As for the image pixel size, If you only need to output it at 8" x 6" at a resolution of 300 dpi, then try resizing it to 2,400 pixels wide (8" x 300 dpi).

HI @Matt Panzer I appreciate you getting back to me.  I figured this was the case.  I assumed the RAW was not actual file size but wasn't certain.  Also I concur on the JPEG and PNG statement.  All I have in these files is an original unedited jpg, and then the rendered VP from another file is exported to a Image PNG and placed in the new file so you have a before and after.  Then when I go to publish PDF's Were getting Files over 30MB.  We try to stay under 20MB for emailing.  Maybe this is normal file size? I can send the PDF and the file if you would like.  However I dont want to post it here for obvious reasons.

Edited by HEengineering

Your import :

Jpeg is a (lossy) compressed image with much smaller file size.

VW shows the file size for an uncompressed Format like BMP or uncompressed TIF file.

Normally VW converts and saves saves Images in Resources as PNG, no matter which

file format they had before. PNG is a lossless but compressed format.

So less file size to save opposed to a BMP, but no loss in Quality though.

As an option you can alternatively use JPEG which will result in an even smaller file size but

therefore some loss in quality.

Normally PNG is fine.

(Also it is not much better to save your image libraries for rendering purposes in JPEG,

beside saving space on disk. As there is a little overhead as a renderer has to finally

decompress the Textures for rendering each time.

Similar should happen in OpenGL ?)

Your output :

The image output size can increase when you use large VPs with high DPI for your SLs.

The resulting image may have much more pixels than the imported image and so larger file size.

It doesn't make much sense to do a larger output than the original as computing a larger

image does not add any more information.

To control the file size of your exports, beside the amount of pixels from DPI setting, 

VW offers an option to use an extra DPI setting for raster images. So you can reasonable file sizes

and resolution for images while keeping your 1200 DPI highres Line Work.

Edited by zoomer

Can you point me to this extra DPI setting?  DPI output is usually determined visually so we just go with whatever looks the best while trying to stay around 300DPI.  

Regarding the output, if Im rendering in imaginary components it seems to me that of course the resulting image will be larger than the original? Im rendering on top of it?

Everything else you state does make sense.  So many ways to adjust these.  Simply looking at how others work thru this.  Thanks Zoomer!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I received the file you sent me and see that you're using only placed images (not rendered viewports). As far as I know, the DPI settings only effect viewports rendered in OpenGL and Renderworks modes. Images export to PDF in their full resolution. To get file size down, you need to reduce the DPI using the Image Attributes feature in Vectorworks, or you have optimize the exported PDF using a PDF editor.

I did a quick test by using the Image Attributes feature in Vectorworks and setting the compression to PNG and the Resolution to 50 Percent. After doing this, the exported PDF is about 10MB (down from 20MB). It's possible (no promises) to get better results keeping the full resolution and changing to compression to a high quality JPEG. It'll take a little playing around...

The "after view" is a rendered VP that was exported as a PNG and then placed in the file I sent you.  It seems like Im understanding it as I should. So the 20MB originally seems normal? We want to keep the quality as high as possible while staying under 20MB.  When I did render out the after view, it was a PNG at 300DPI Open GL was set to medium.  We rarely render on high.  The idea is to show where they will be without being to0 defined.(or fake relative to the distortion of the photo at that zoom level. 

We did use image attributes to reduce the before picture, but found at about 70% reduction it starts to deteriorate beyond what we would like to see.  I really just wanted to confirm I wasnt missing something obvious here.  We always appreciate the insight here Matt!  

Edited by HEengineering