Resize Rotated Rectangle??

tgm

To resize a rotated rectangle, you'll need to use the 2d reshape tool. You'll notice that a rotated rectangle is noted as a polygon at the top of the OIP.

You can select two vertices of the polygon by marqueeing around them - then mouse over one of those vertices to drag the vertices out to the point you want. It will take the whole segment of the polygon between the two selected vertices out to the point you specify.

I know this sounds tricky, and I might not be describing it very well. It's hard to explain without showing.

Once you try to move a vertex, you'll see how it works and apply it when the two vertices are selected.

Katie,

Marquee trick does not work on rotated rectangles as the marquee will only expand horizontal and vertical, as if ortho is locked on, and you cannot use the marquee to select just the two vertices you need. Try drawing a rotated rectangle, 1" x 3" at a 45 degree angle and then try the marquee trick on any side. You can't do it.

You can just grab the center vertex of any side and just pull it to size as the whole side moves with the center.

Thanks for the tip,

Tom in PA

Tom, I tried the experiment you suggest, and was able to select any two given corners using a marquee. I don't understand your comment - it is true of certain asymmetrical quadrilaterals, but not of a rotated rectangle.

Grabbing the center without using the marquee tool at all is, however, the quicker way to get the desired results. Two ways to accomplish the same effect.

[ 09-09-2004, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

If you select the center point of a line segment to resize using the resize cursor, the shape of the polygon becomes skewed.

I personally don't use the 2d reshape tool to drag the center point of a rotated rectangle because you can't constrain to the adjacent segment angles. You can only constrain perpendicular and vertical. You may not have 4 right angles - you may have some angles larger or smaller than 90 degrees.

You CAN use this method, however it's less exact if you should need to keep the current angular ratios for the line segments adjacent to the line segment you wish to move.

Man, when I was in geometry class as I kid .. I could never figure how any of the stuff I was learning would apply to any job ...

Katie, geometry . . . what can we say?

Using the reshape methods described above, I rely on the "perpendicular" and "parallel" screen cues to know that I'm not skewing the shape instead of stretching it. "Perpendicular" means you are constrained to a line perpendicular to a side of the shape, and "Parallel" means you are constrained to a line parallel to a side. But - these constraints only sometimes appear. I wish I knew how and why. Any tips from NNA?

P.S.: if you can't get these constraints to appear, do something like the following: if you are reshaping using the center of a side, pull it to the center of the opposite side (screen hint will say "center"). Keeping your cursor snapped to that point, enter a NEGATIVE number in the "L" variable at the top of the screen, push "Enter" and click the mouse. Your side will move out the distance you entered in the "L" field, and the rectangle will stay a rectangle. (If you were trying to make the rectangle smaller, enter a POSITIVE number in the "L" field.)

[ 09-10-2004, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]