Change font in entire file

Jim Smith

Question

10 answers to this question

This would be SO helpful. There needs to be a way to change ALL text instances to a particular font, plus it needs to tie in to 'font-mapping'.

For example, if I open a file started by someone else and they used CrazyFontCondensed, when I open it on my machine it's mapped to Arial for display purposes since I don't have that font. Then as I'm working I add new text blocks with the Arial font natively. If the file goes back to original computer, half of the text now maps back to CrazyFontCondensed, and half stays as Arial since that's what I used. As far as I can tell, there's currently no way for me to force the entire document to actually just use Arial and get rid of whatever stupid font someone else may have used. And as I'm working, I don't know which pieces of text are being mapped (invisibly, under-the-hood) and which pieces of text are actually Arial. All the text just shows 'Arial' as the font being used. 

There definitely needs to be a better way to confidently control fonts in a file.

• Like 1

As I just replied in the topic referred above (and upvoted that one too) some software using font substitution has the option to make the substitution permanent, i.e. upon saving the file the missing font is permanently replaced with the substituting font.

Though this will prevent ending up with a mix of fonts it is only a partial solution for the issue. Using text styles would be a better way as that should turn the font back to the missing font when it becomes available and will hopefully do so as well for newly created text using that text style.

However the text styles are not working properly in that any override does (e.g. one word in bold) will show the text as not having a text style at all so there is still no solid way of telling what the text status is with regard to what font being used.

8 hours ago, Art V said:

However the text styles are not working properly in that any override does (e.g. one word in bold) will show the text as not having a text style at all so there is still no solid way of telling what the text status is with regard to what font being used.

^ this is something I've always wondered about and one of the reasons I don't use Text Styles very much. Once I make a piece of text styled I don't understand why it would ever lose that style unless I physically changed it again. Yet text that's been styled often shows up as a blank style....

There also needs to be a preference pane where I could assign text styles to every PIO that uses text individually so I could control everything in one place.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
On 5/17/2018 at 8:07 AM, Tom Klaber said:

Yes!

As long as we can exclude titleblocks....

Yeah, that would be helpful as well. Perhaps a choice something like three Radio Buttons that one chooses to:

1) Include / Exempt Title Blocks

2)  Include / Exempt : Symbols

3)  Include / Exempt : Worksheets

3 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Yet text that's been styled often shows up as a blank style.... 

The "funny" (not really) thing is that even when it shows up as a blank style or no style it is still styled. E.g. if you were to change the font of the style you will notice that previously styled text that seems to have lost the style will still change the font.

So even when it the OIP says the text has no style, it may actually still be styled and respond to to style changes. Which can turn out to be a pain in itself on top of the "losing" of styles. This makes the whole style feature quite unreliable from a user perspective.

The style assignment i the OIP should be upright if there are no overrides (.e.g one word made bold in a sentence or paragraph) and become italic when there are manual overrides to parts of the styled text. This is how a lot of other programs do this. That way you should be able to tell for sure if a style has been applied to text or that no style at all has been applied (i.e. showing as unstyled/no style).

• Like 2