Import NURBS object?

I've been working between VW 10.5.1 and Rhino to create a 3d model of a curved lattice-work railing. Rhino can map a complex flat surface onto a curved surface, but I can't find a way except through .dwg import and export to get the objects back into VW, which then come in as 3d polys or meshes, not nurbs. Is there any way to do this? Does VW import IGES files, and would this help?

Just complete the whole model in Rhino. We use VW11 and Rhino and for all of our 3D work Rhino is far superior to VW. I am finding that importing just plain dwg's is a pain I cannot even imagine trying to import an iges for or other form into VW.

Good Luck,

Tom in PA

Tom, thanks for the feedback. I guess there isn't a way to swap NURBS objects back and forth. I wish Rhino and VW could combine the best features of both programs into one.

PS: actually, check out this same thread in the 3d discussion area. It turns out you can import an IGES file, and get NURBS objects to cross over. But it hasn't been totally satisfactory.

[ 09-09-2004, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

P.R.

I have found Rhino to be one of the best filter and conversion engines out there. I will import and export just about anything with amazing accuracy and I use it to take VW files and prepare them for export to our CNC software. The way VW exports dxf's does not jive completely with industry standards and I have had the most problems with importing converted VW files. For all of our design work in 2D VW cannot be beat. For 3D Rhino can't be beat for the money. Your using the best programs so that's half the battle.

Let me know if we can be of any help with Rhino as we have a fair amount of experience with the program for architectural work.

Good Luck,

Tom in PA