Hassan Raza

Perspective/Orthogonal view issue

Hello Everyone,

I may have changed some setting for renderworks camera or something else happened but now all the orthogonal views in one of my files appear to have a cutting plane that does show the whole model. It may be a tiny bit of setting but its really annoying. Please guide anyone who has the same experience. See attached a screenshot.

Thanks

Screen_Shot_2018-05-15_at_6_08.25_PM.png

Is the stuff being clipped on a design layer viewport? If so delete the DLVP crop object. 

See also:

• Like 1

My first suggestion is to RESTART Vectorworks and see if this will clear up.

Wes

Posted (edited)

@Wes Gardner Restarting Vectorworks didn't help.

@Boh it is not being clipped on viewport but the design layer 3d view. I have noticed it is only happening in narrow and normal perspective and not in orthogonal view of that specific file.

Edited by Hassan Raza

Its clipping by the editor "camera". Its often seen in C4D which has a preference to toggle to fix it but its been while since I've seen it in VW. It used to happen sometimes when editing in symbols in 3d. @JimW is there a solution to this? I think you may have to contact tech support.

Kevin

• Like 1

I remember this happening a lot many versions ago, but haven't really seen it recently.

Is the geometry really far away from the internal origin of the document?

If you place and activate a RW Camera, does it also cut off objects in the camera view?

Distance from origin CAN cause this, however I have noticed a handful of cases recently where it was an issue with the document, and transferring the geometry to a new blank file with Layer Import did the trick.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What exactly is "Layer Import", and how can I best do what you suggest? 

I see now.  That's interesting.  What else does this function do?  

43 minutes ago, JimW said:

Distance from origin CAN cause this, however I have noticed a handful of cases recently where it was an issue with the document, and transferring the geometry to a new blank file with Layer Import did the trick. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 12.56.33 PM.png

Edited by cberg

Apologies, meant to include this explanation link:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cberg said:

What exactly is "Layer Import", and how can I best do what you suggest?

From the Organization dialog (Tools>Organization or by clicking on the layer stack in the Mode Bar) go to the layer tab and click to create a new layer. When the dialog opens choose "Import Design Layers" and click on the "Choose" button to navigate to the file where you want to import a layer from. Choose the layer(s) from the list, make sure "Import Layer Objects" is checked and click ok.

Kevin

Interesting.  Looks like you can import the following:

• Design layers and the objects in them.
  • Sheet layers, but not the objects on them or viewports associated with them. 
  • And viewports don't seem to import.  Which would be nice if it were possible. 

So this technique is probably best when transferring layer and class file organization at the outset of a project, and Design Layer Model/Drawing Information if something is weird in your model.  It would be tough to do at the end of a project which might have a lot of viewports and sheet level information.  

Thanks, Jim and Kevin!  Did not fully understand this function. 

• Like 1

You can „import“ Viewports on Sheet Layers when you put them in a Group.

That may help in some cases but will need a lot of manual re-setting though.