Best way to learn?

Howdy, all - new user here, and I need some advice from some of you who've been around the block.

What is the best way to learn the program? I have the printed manuals, of course, and I have three training CDs. I've been reading the manuals straight through, but I'm wondering if I'd be better off going through the CDs first, and then using the manuals as more of a reference.

Also, any recommendations for third-party how-to books?

Thanks in advance...

I'm thinking about getting VW for my powerbook. So I can't speak for VW specifically.

When I learn new software, I create a simple project and then learn as I go.

For example, with a CAD program, I would design a small building and then learn how to draw it by referring to the manual for each drawing task. This gives the learning process some meaning and makes it easier to remember.

It depends on what method of learning works best for you- for me it was taking a drawing I'd already done by hand and redrawing it in VW (at that time minicad). That way it's something without a deadline attached- which helps.

..and always keep the words of Robert Capra in your mind- if it's not good enough- you're not close enough. (meaning- get used to zooming in- a lot)

Good luck.

I feel it depends on what you want to do with the program but I took a mixed approach. I was totally green to CAD and computers. I bought VWA with RW and got the training CDs and Jonathan's manuals. First I read the manuals completely to give me an overview while I toyed with the program and the CD's. The manuals and CDs have proven to be references only. The VW user guides only tell you how to do something. It doesn't say why you would want to do something(for novices) nor do they offer correlations between processes that could be a "strategy" to achieve a particular drawing objective. I found that right off the bat, I was wanting to draw something beyond the presentation of the manuals or CDs. I think Jonathan's manual is good for beginners and does venture into strategy and is worth the price (even without an index) and the CDs are good to get a feel for the workspace and mouse activity. But it is like Jonathan implied. I got more from his manuals after I returned to them much later with some experience and understanding. For me the best way I learned what little I know now is to create a problem and solve it. For learning rendering and modeling and flyover/walkthru videos, I decided to draw my dining room table with Italian lights and the table set with plates, silver and glasses using accurate measurements. With this project (forcing me to figure things out for myself) and some help from this tech board (creating sprialing rods) I learned a ton. For architectural drawing, I have had a couple of jobs to cut my teeth on, but I know I must create my own problem and go from start to finish using all the architecture specfic specialties offered by VW Architect. I cannot really learn it well by reading. I have to do it. If you're going to render much, Daniel Jansenson's Renderworks Recipe Book is well presented. Good luck, there's an ocean of possibilities in front of you.

Jonathan -

At a hundred bucks a pop, I think I'll figure out another way to figure it all out. Thanks for the input, though.

Everybody else -

Sounds like I just need to dive in. I've got a couple of non-deadline small projects I can fiddle with. I think I've decided to watch as much of the training CDs as I can, and then start playing with the software. I'll refer to the manual as needed.

Thanks for your input. Wish me luck...

I am also new to VW and also purchased full manuals and CDs. I also purchased the only 3rd party book I knew of at the time (Tom Baer book for VW10).

The VW documentation is some of the best I've seen and they deserve kudo's for it, but Tom's book has still been better organized for me as a newbie.

I did watch the CD's first but what I'm finding know is there is no real *order* to what I'm doing...I've simply started taking it in bites -- learning 2d tools, then adding 3d tools - learning how to manipulate working planes, playing with classes and layers, playing with textures and the resource browser. I start with fresh documents over and over and just play with a particular feature until I have a reasonable understanding of it.

Of course, this is written by someone who is still at the Kindergarten stage and I want those who contribute to know how much I appreciate this forum.

JB

• 3 months later...

This is a 'three months down the road' update to my above post.

After my previous post I purchased Jonathan's books on VW and VW Architect. I can't impress enough on a new user how much help they have been -- it's a lot like having a power user sitting at the desk next to you.

As Jonathan's book is organized more like a tutorial, I still find Baer's book a better reference when I have a command question(it has an excellent index), but it was Jonathan's .PDF with the videos that got me up to speed the fastest.

Thanks Jonathan. I'll be ordering the Kitchen book soon.

JB

Hi guys, this is my first time posting here, and let me just say that the wealth of answers you guys provide for problems is amazing. I use this support forum as a learning tool for problems I encounter or as a heads up for future ones.

So I have a couple of questions. I have been contemplating some more training. I originally learned VW through a friend who tutored me for a while. He mainly used VW 10 for theater. Other than that my training is limited to having read Tom Baer's book twice, playing the VW training fundamentals 1 and 2 cd's a countless number of times, and just plain using the program. I felt that the cd's lacked depth and only glossed over many subjects (NURB's), and the book was very helpful but didn't cover more advanced topics. So I would like another resource. At this juncture what do you recommend?

Jonathan, I've been thinking about your manuals, but it seems that it is mainly a beginner's manual, where I would much rather prefer an int-advanced one. I can do without the intro to the program and fundamental tools. My current job is with the trade show business. Duties entail modeling design in 3D, making cut files to export to the CNC and shop drawings. Thanks in advance.

FT