Windows not showing transparent

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
23 minutes ago, Kevin Allen said:

That texture should be a glass with 'portal' checked.

Just now, Tom Klaber said:

This is new to me.

Do not know how I missed this one.

Thanks for the tip.

It's a bit sneaky, but can help environmental light spill properly into a buildings interior. I use it for all exterior glass. Theoretically it makes environment lighting calculations a bit slower, but i haven't noticed a dramatic difference in times, just quality.

I find it helps most when I have a situation where I get those little light spots on flat surfaces and in tight corners, sometimes called fireflies. There are a few other things that can cause/mitigate them as well but Portals is one that seems to fix it when I have a large or nooks-and-crannies-filled indoor space with no light sources inside.

18 minutes ago, bc said:

HEY KEVIN,

Could you or someone elaborate on this?

I'm no getting the "portal" checked thing.

thanks,

bc

4 minutes ago, Kevin Allen said:

The "portal' option is in the texture definition, Click the "Indirect Lighting Options" button and check "Portal' to allow lighting/indirect lighting/environmental lighting to pass through the glass texture.

To clarify for anyone else reading: you do not NEED to enable that setting in order to get transparency, it just assists in letting environment lighting pass through a transparent object. Simply giving the glazing class a transparent texture should be enough to answer the original posted question.