Bruce Kieffer

Grab center point of viewport

Question

Posted (edited)

I wish we could grab the center point of a viewport. It's there, I just can't grab it. My workaround is to place a 2d locus point at the VP center point, select it and the VP, grab the locus point, and then drag to where I want to place the VP. Fortunately, the locus point does not print so it can be left on the layer. Sure this works, but it would be so much easier if I could just grab the VP's center point.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer

10 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

The move by points tool works with the center point of the viewport, select the viewport and then switch to the move by points tool and it will snap to the viewport center and you can move it around. This eliminates the need for a locus.

Being able to simply select the center point of a viewport and then move it would be nice though.

Edited by Art V
  • Like 1

Thanks Art, I will use the move by points tool until Vectorworks let's me select the center point of a VP.

Posted (edited)

Alan,

I'm experimenting and having mixed results. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I can't tell why, but I have a feeling it's some bug with Vectorworks and High Sierra.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer

Hi guys,

I find it utterly annoying  !!!  that Viewports cannot be grabbed, neither in the centre nor on either of the corners.

The way I work around it is: 

----> activate a single Viewport and then 'Group' it temporarily.

Then you can grab it same as a rectangular object.

And when done simply un-group it again.

G

There is definitely something wrong. Grabbing is working for me this morning. I did quit Vectorworks and restart late yesterday. It was hogging system memory!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

There is definitely something wrong. Grabbing is working for me this morning. I did quit Vectorworks and restart late yesterday. It was hogging system memory!

Yes something is wrong, as I used to be able to grab the center point too in the past, but when checking earlier today it didn't work. Because most of the time the viewports need to be centered anyway on the sheet layer I use the OIP to put the center at exactly 0,0 on the sheet layer if it isn't already.

Correction: when selection mode is in single mode selecting the center point worked now.

1 hour ago, Grethe Connerth said:

I find it utterly annoying  !!!  that Viewports cannot be grabbed, neither in the centre nor on either of the corners.

Corner points worked for me so far. You may want to check your selection mode, it should preferably be in single mode to work.

Edited by Art V
Correction added to reply to Bruce

I've found with perspective viewports in particular, that the same viewport will at times allow me to grab the corners/center point, and at other times not allow me to grab them. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. I could have 5 viewports on a sheet, all created via the same method, and at a given moment some will be grab-able and others won't be. Then later a different combination of viewports will be grab-able. It's odd.

Just now, Andy Broomell said:

I've found with perspective viewports in particular, that the same viewport will at times allow me to grab the corners/center point, and at other times not allow me to grab them. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. I could have 5 viewports on a sheet, all created via the same method, and at a given moment some will be grab-able and others won't be. Then later a different combination of viewports will be grab-able. It's odd.

I've noticed this too.

2 hours ago, Art V said:

Corner points worked for me so far. You may want to check your selection mode, it should preferably be in single mode to work.

I've had lots of trouble with corner points on uncropped (or camera which isn't technically a crop) viewports.

Kevin

I think I figured it out. If the viewport has annotations, then it's center can be grabbed. This needs to be fixed. There's no good reason why you can't grab the center of a viewport no matter what.