Custom Linetypes disappear in Rotated Viewports or Rotated Top/Plan

ericjhberg

Question

Just encountered a new problem I haven't experienced before...I'm guessing it's because of VW2018!

So...We have a utilities file where we have applied custom line-types to the different utilities. Because of our workflow, we reference this file into a BASE file that then get's referenced into all of our different design files. The viewports in the design files are rotated, and none of the utility linetypes appear. When you go to the design layer, they are visible in normal Top/Plan, but when you apply a rotated top/plan, they disappear!

I just converted this particular project from 2017, where it worked just fine, to 2018 yesterday and only now am I experiencing this issue. We are experiencing similar issues on other 2018 files as well.

Why does this always happen...stuff that works just fine somehow becomes broken in new versions. This is BAD!

12 answers to this question

2018 has some mighty graphical issues. Eg. the "change not visible before zooming in /out" STILL has no remedy. 

As to custom lines I can confirm for me they only work reliably if the viewport is in the same orientation  and scale as the DL

I'm really awaiting for improvement in the overall quality of VW. Even our part-time students are baffled with the bugs.

Thanks @JMR for confirming. I would like to submit an official bug request on this, but haven't yet had the time to put together the materials.

My larger question on this is HOW? We never encountered this issue prior to v2018, but now it is rampant. How to bugs like this appear on features that were working smoothly before?

1 hour ago, ericjhberg said:

After installing SP4, this is STILL A BUG!

Did you file it as a bug? Remember that posting about an issue on the forums doesn't necessarily mean that someone from NV has filed it on your behalf. I would encourage anyone who is having this issue to do a Bug Submit. ( @JimW is it intentional that nothing from a forum page links to the main website anymore, not even the NV logo? I also had to hunt around for quite a while on the new website to find the Bug Submit page. Its quite hidden even after you click Support 😲 )

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

is it intentional that nothing from a forum page links to the main website anymore, not even the NV logo? I also had to hunt around for quite a while on the new website to find the Bug Submit page. Its quite hidden even after you click Support 

No, I meant to change it so the logo linked back to the main site, but honestly it slipped my mind. The main page is in the first of a few upgrade phases, the support pages haven't really been completed yet and there are still plans to replace the old clunky bugsumbit page and afterwards, make it more prominent.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JimW said:

No, I meant to change it so the logo linked back to the main site, but honestly it slipped my mind. The main page is in the first of a few upgrade phases, the support pages haven't really been completed yet and there are still plans to replace the old clunky bugsumbit page and afterwards, make it more prominent.

Thanks Jim.

Is it possible to temporarily add back a Bug Submit link at the bottom of the forum pages? It was very convenient to say "click on the Bug Submit at the bottom of the page" when encouraging people to file their bugs....

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Is it possible to temporarily add back a Bug Submit link at the bottom of the forum pages? It was very convenient to say "click on the Bug Submit at the bottom of the page" when encouraging people to file their bugs....

Yup, itll be back shortly.

• Like 1

So...thanks for chiming in. Generally I try to use the bug submit, but in this case I was having difficulty replicating the issue in an easily uploadable file. And since this has to do with references across several files, it was even more cumbersome and time consuming to try and submit the bug.

That said...I called Tech Support which was very helpful. They actually solved the problem...not a bug after all.

It turns out that this issue is caused by Viewport Crops of Viewport References. If a referenced viewport has a crop and is then rotated, the rotation will likely move the linework outside of the corresponding crop object and no longer be visible...at least that is what I was told. That said, what is strange is that only some of the linework dissappears...generally the complex types.

Regardless, the lesson learned here is don't crop viewport references, especially if you intend to rotate them in a sheet layer viewport somewhere.

Thanks again for chiming in, and my apologies for the demands. I do generally feel that submitting bugs should be an easier process since users don't always have the extra time it takes to go through the vetting process. As it turns out, this may not have been an appropriate problem for a bug submission anyway, so walking that line is a little tricky too.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ericjhberg said:

So...thanks for chiming in. Generally I try to use the bug submit, but in this case I was having difficulty replicating the issue in an easily uploadable file. And since this has to do with references across several files, it was even more cumbersome and time consuming to try and submit the bug.

That said...I called Tech Support which was very helpful. They actually solved the problem...not a bug after all.

Glad to hear you had some success is solving or at least understanding your issue. I only commented because often there are others out there having the same issues but the bug hasn't made it into the system. Maybe the design issue has a chance of being resolved in VW2019.

Thanks again for chiming in, and my apologies for the demands. I do generally feel that submitting bugs should be an easier process since users don't always have the extra time it takes to go through the vetting process.

It definitely should be way easier 🙂 Feel free to vote up my wish list item about this very issue - 

As it turns out, this may not have been an appropriate problem for a bug submission anyway, so walking that line is a little tricky too.

Ultimately a bug submission could bring attention to something that could use some improvement (programming, documentation, etc.) even if its not actually a "bug". From your reply, it looks like you learned a fair amount about how the problem originated and now that information is shared on the forum for others too.

Kevin

• Like 1
On 7/10/2018 at 1:06 PM, Jim Wilson said:

Thanks Jim.

Kevin

Yup, itll be back shortly.

Speaking of the bottom of the page.... 2018 All Rights Rederved. 😉