Hi!

I wasn't sure where to put this, so since I'm a designer, I thought I'd drop this in the entertainment realm. 

I'm having a lot of issues with class overrides when I'm setting up my sheets for publishing. One of the things that drives me a little nuts about drawing in 3D is that my line weights aren't what they "should" be (note that I learned hand drafting a while ago and many mentors were very strict about it.. so now I am too). SO - after learning about class overrides, I thought I had finally found the solution to my problems - alas, it only works part of the time and never works when I try to publish in black and white (whether it's to a PDF or to the Plotter), everything reverts back as if I hadn't done the override.

Can anyone help me out on this? Am I missing something?

Can you add some detail here? First it is always best practice to print or plot from a pdf and not from VWX

Are you assigning line line weight and color by class? Then in a SLVP overriding those things in Class override?

are you only seeing color affected or not affected?

is zoom line weights active and part of the problem?

Of course!

- I didn't know printing from PDF was best practice, so thanks!

- I do have classes set up with specific colors and line weights, and I'm trying to override them in SLVP - think for things hanging overhead. In a ground plan I want them to be a thin, dashed line - but on other plates, like a section or elevation, I want them to be their normal solid line.

- I'm not sure what you mean by color being affected. I leave color alone (since I publish in B&W) and I'm only changing line weight and type. Sometimes, the line weight and type override works in color mode, sometimes it doesn't. All of it reverts the minute I change it to B&W.

- Zoom line weights isn't active. I have tried both ways to see if that was the problem.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by nubourne
42 minutes ago, nubourne said:

In a ground plan I want them to be a thin, dashed line - but on other plates, like a section or elevation, I want them to be their normal solid line

3D line weights should be the same from 2D to 3D but line types will not. Once a 2D object is converted to 3D by extruding etc., then any line types will become solid.

Edited by markdd
22 hours ago, markdd said:

3D line weights should be the same from 2D to 3D but line types will not. Once a 2D object is converted to 3D by extruding etc., then any line types will become solid.

perhaps to get what you're after you need hybrid symbols of the objects?

• Like 1

I think Mark and Kevin identified the crux of this — if you're looking at line types (as opposed to weights), you won't see them for 3D objects.  Dashed lines are reserved for the dashed hidden line render mode.  You can also use a dashed line when converting an object to AutoHybrid.

I don't recommend using the Black and White Only option.  It will obliterate any grayscale colors as well, which most modern B&W printers will print.  If you use colored classes, I would override those to grayscale in the viewports.

Zoom line thickness has no effect on printing — in fact, having this option on will give you a better sense of the printed output, as lines take up the amount of space on screen that they will on the print.  Zooming in on the line will make the line bigger.  With the option off, the line takes up the same number of screen pixels, no matter what the line weight.  I recommend having Zoom Line Weight on as the rule.

On 5/10/2018 at 10:03 AM, Kevin Allen said:

First it is always best practice to print or plot from a pdf and not from VWX

I don't necessarily agree with this.  Printing to PDF can help catch issues and certainly saves paper as a soft proof, but I print straight from Vectorworks all the time.  The one exception is when rasterizing the entire drawing (an option in print to PDF) can solve an issue.