2018 Silent Install Not Storing Username or CompName

Jeff Cooper

Question

Hi All,

When I run the command-line installer for a silent install, and set the user and company names, I am still prompted with "Personalize Your Copy of VW" dialog.

Here's the command (serial redacted of course):

/Volumes/Vectorworks2018-SP3-418943-SeriesB-installer5-osx/Vectorworks\ 2018\ Installer.app/Contents/Resources/installer/Install\ Vectorworks2018.app/Contents/MacOS/installbuilder.sh --unattendedmodeui none --mode unattended --Serial <SERIAL#HERE> --UserName "Jeff Cooper" --CompName "King + King Architects" --installdir "/Applications/Vectorworks 2018"

I used this method when we did 2017 and it worked like a charm. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

4 answers to this question

Hi @Jeff Cooper, I know I'm a little late to the party, but I've figured this out.  I was going through the installer log and noticed that running this command sets the UserName and CompName to the vectorworks plist in the root user's home folder.  I decided to try setting the same plist keys into the root level plist (/Library/Preferences/net.nemetschek.vectorworks.2018.plist) and voila, the Username & Company Name started working.

For your reference, here's the 2 defaults write commands that I used:

defaults write "/Library/Preferences/net.nemetschek.vectorworks.2018" "NNA Registered User" 'Username'

defaults write "/Library/Preferences/net.nemetschek.vectorworks.2018" "NNA Registered Organization" 'Company Name'

And (in case you're interested) here's a post-install script I wrote that does the following:

1. Mounts the dmg file silently (the pkg I made puts the installer dmg into "/tmp/VW2018/")
  2. Installs the software
  3. Unmounts the dmg
  4. makes a directory for the "LoginDialog.xml" file
  5. Copies the "LoginDialog.xml" file into place (again, I've put this file into "/tmp/VW2018/")
  6. Runs the 2 defaults commands to set User Name and Company Name
#!/bin/bash
## postinstall

hdiutil attach -nobrowse "/private/tmp/VW2018/Vectorworks2018-SP4-435714-SeriesB-installer1-osx.dmg"

"/Volumes/Vectorworks2018-SP4-435714-SeriesB-installer1-osx/Vectorworks 2018 Installer.app/Contents/Resources/installer/Install Vectorworks2018.app/Contents/MacOS/installbuilder.sh" --unattendedmodeui none --mode unattended --Serial "SERIAL-NUMBER-XGOESX-XHEREX" --UserName "Username" --CompName "Company Name" --installdir "/Applications/Vectorworks 2018"

hdiutil detach "/Volumes/Vectorworks2018-SP4-435714-SeriesB-installer1-osx"

mkdir "/Applications/Vectorworks 2018/Settings/SeriesG"

cp "/private/tmp/VW2018/LoginDialog.xml" "/Applications/Vectorworks 2018/Settings/SeriesG/LoginDialog.xml"

defaults write "/Library/Preferences/net.nemetschek.vectorworks.2018" "NNA Registered User" 'Username'

defaults write "/Library/Preferences/net.nemetschek.vectorworks.2018" "NNA Registered Organization" 'Company Name'

exit

Hope this helps!

Edited by YukonLuke
  • Like 1