V W Drawings -Intelligility

Johnm

I have been using VW for a few years untrained and producing drawings which when printed look reasonable. But I am aware that any anaylsis by a seasoned VW user would have them throwing their hands up in horror at the make up of the drawings ,no of layers etc.

Recently I have had to interface with the outside world sending and importing drawings to an office using a cad programme call Micro GDS and my private activities have been brutally exposed . Briefly , a fundamental in GDS is to use the intelligence of the programme by USING the object structure ,ie, before you draw lines you create an object giving it a name and a hook/insertion point so that when you click on any part of the drawing it tells you on the screen what object you have clicked on. It is an absolute no no to have a drawing with all the lines merging into one object which is how it appears when my drawings are exported to the GDS office.

My question to the VW forum is how do you organise

your VW drawings so that when you click on any part the programme tells you what it is.

Hope this is comprehensible.

Look forward to any feedback

Greatly enjoy the VW forum

Jonas M

2Gz G5 OSX 10.3 VW 10.5

• 2 weeks later...

When you draw a building in VW you can use VW objects to create a most of the parts that you need. Doors, windows, columns etc. these should be objects because VW has them on the tool palettes as objects and if you draw with them it is quick and easy to draw.

other thigs that you want to make that might be special, say lights on a lighting plan, can be made into symbols. The reason you should be using symbols is that it is quicker and more efficient to use symbols to create drawings.

quote:

Originally posted by jonas mac:

Briefly , a fundamental in GDS is to use the intelligence of the programme by USING the object structure ,ie, before you draw lines you create an object giving it a name and a hook/insertion point so that when you click on any part of the drawing it tells you on the screen what object you have clicked on.

I don't think it is possible to create such object structure in VW and get it translated via DWG/DXF, but who knows. Ask your friends how they tackle AutoCAD drawings; they might even give you a sample AutoCAD file to import into VW to see how it is configured.