Changing Default Settings for Viewports, notes, other label ect.

I seem to missing something here.

Let's start with viewport label graphics. Let's say my firm wants a rectangular drawing label with a right hand justification and .35 line weight. 

Every time I create a new viewport (plan/elevation/section) I always get a circular drawing label, left hand justification and .05 line weight. 

I find this extremely annoying because it is a significant wast of time to change each viewport label after they are created. 

Same goes for any other drafting symbol created(i.e. elevation/section markers, call-outs, notes, ect.)

thanks in advance for any help.

-Patrick

So, for drawings labels, I have all of my basic settings adjusted in the Tool Preferences. I have a class for drawings labels. So, when I insert a drawing label, it's at least roughed out. I do have to assign the class which then controls the line weight and color.

I would like the tool to 'know' that when I use the tool it should assign the class.

Similarly, I have my preferred focus point object selected in the tool preferences, so the tool knows which option to use. Again, I do have to Class the inserted objects. Similarly for things like the North Arrow and the Centerline where I have my own symbols in the defaults and then chosen in the tool prefs.

Make sense?

You can change the drawing Label's parameters and class prior to insertion from the Tools>Plug-ins>Plug-in Manager. You can set the default class as well as the parameters of the object that you always change. It will create the class if it is not yet in the drawing (however you will need to set the class properties later on).

If you then open a clean drawing and run the tool again, then these parameters will now be the default. Kevin's method is perfect for when you need to have different parameters set for different types of drawings, this plug-in manager method is for every future instance of the tool. The only drawback to this method as I understand it is that you will need to do this process again if/when you do your yearly upgrade.

This doesn't work on all tools especially the newest ones which I believe are coded differently and one or two revert back to the default, but on most it works really well.

Edited by markdd
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, Kevin Allen said:

Not just yearly, in my experiments, those settings revert when installing service  updates.

That's not my experience. I guess it would make sense if individual tools are updated in a service pack. I have a short(ish) list of tools that I update every year and I haven't noticed them reverting back to the default settings in the meantime. The drawing label tool is one of them. I'll definitely be on the look-out when the next service pack arrives.

I do wish for a Class Manager functionality where, for example, I could tell the application that I would like all Renderworks Cameras to assume my Renderworks Camera Class when inserted. Over-ridding whatever Class I might be using at the time. Ideally those preferences would move from version to version.

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...