Can I stop VW re-rendering everything on PDF export?

line-weight

Question

When I make up sheets with Renderworks rendered viewports, I'll do the render(s), then make a copy of the viewport, which I convert to group to make into a bitmap, and that bitmap goes onto the page layout. The original viewport sits outside the print area so that it's still there if I want to change things and re-render.

So, you'd think that if I then export to PDF and specify to export the print area, VW doesn't need to worry about the viewports outside the print area. But it does, and as far as I can see goes ahead with re-rendering *all* of them regardless. This can take a long, long time and there seems to be no way of cancelling the process either. So if you've forgotten this annoying habit and have asked to export you then have the dilemma of waiting for an unknown amount of time for the rendering to happen, or forcing VW to quit, quite possibly losing some work in the process. This situation caused a not inconsiderable amount of cursing and swearing here the other day.

So, is there any way around this? Do we have to make a duplicate sheet layer, without any 'live' viewports on it, each time we want to do an export?

17 answers to this question

You're right. It seems counter-intuitive. I don't know whether you know about this but you can turn off the re-rendering of viewports when you publish a sheet by clicking the options button in the publish dialogue box. At least that will stop the potentially interminable wait for several viewports to update before getting the pdf. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 11.00.18.png

• Like 1

This still keeps catching me.

I go to export a PDF... often I'm in a bit of a hurry at this stage because everything is nearly ready to go out the door...

Then I realise VW has started updating multiple viewports which is going to take forever. And there's no way of cancelling the process. Aaaargh...

Is there some way to tell VW to NEVER, NEVER AGAIN do this unless I specifically ask it to?

You have to care to deactivate SL updates in the PDF settings of

the Publish dialog.

Hmmh I do so, but honestly I have to update my SLs before exporting

always anyway.. Maybe auto update would save some manual work ?

But usually I want to look at them and check them before I publish.

1 hour ago, zoomer said:

Non that was a just proposal as I think auto ON and Off may be both useful.

And I agree to have this as a global setting and not just an arbitrary default.

Maybe better as a File-wide setting ?

I think a global setting.

If you accidentally have it "off" when actually you want it on, all it takes is a couple of mouse clicks to sort.

But if you accidentally have it "on" when actually you want it off, the price is either an extended wait for everything to re-render (can be a *very* long wait if you've got several renderworks viewports on the sheet layer) or forcing VW to quit, possibly losing some work, but also with a time penalty of waiting for everything to reboot, and possibly then re-rendering the viewports that you had ready to go and were just about to export.

Another solution would just be to have the option to cancel the publish/export process once it's begun.

16 minutes ago, Jan-Burger TROOST said:

Would it be an option to print the SL as a pdf? On Mac it can by default, on Windows you might need an Adobe PDF driver. 

Same applies if you use the print dialogue, either to print to paper or PDF.

The "update visible out of date viewports prior to printing" is ticked by default.

2100729226_ScreenShot2019-06-12at19_31_28.thumb.jpg.e702919696f8869e1031413c4bee001d.jpg

27 minutes ago, Jan-Burger TROOST said:

True , I didn’t realize that.

Under File > Document preferences you can tick Save viewport cache in the Display tab. Would that help speeding up the re-render process for you?

It doesn't help with this particular problem - which is when VW starts to re-render viewports that you don't want/need to be re-rendered.

3 hours ago, Jan-Burger TROOST said:

True , I didn’t realize that.

Under File > Document preferences you can tick Save viewport cache in the Display tab. Would that help speeding up the re-render process for you?

I don’t exactly understand what it does.

I tried but had more problems to handle my large files.

Can‘t remember what it actually was ...

But when deactivated, my Viewports where still there when

I reopened my file anyway (?)

On 5/8/2018 at 5:54 AM, line-weight said:

When I make up sheets with Renderworks rendered viewports, I'll do the render(s), then make a copy of the viewport, which I convert to group to make into a bitmap, and that bitmap goes onto the page layout. The original viewport sits outside the print area so that it's still there if I want to change things and re-render.

Can you put the rendered viewports on a separate sheet and the bitmaps on another?