Smart symbol or similar

Hi,

I dont now if this is possible in VW and probably it isn't.

In my company we need to place different kind of signature explanations to explain what the different line means.

It is always the same "symbol" we import but with different content.

Example. In one project do we need to explain red, blue and green lines. In another project do we need to explain blue and green line. The explanations is the same for the lines in the projekt, but i dont need the two projekt. I just dont want the red line in the second project.

This is just an example. In my company do we talk about 20-30 line explanations, and it is annoying to un-symbol the symbol and move around the lines.

And therefor and my question.

Is it possible to create a smart symbol or similar that allows me to choose with lines I want in my explanation.

So if I want the red, blue, green, yellow and pink line, I just pick them (maybe in a window) and the symbol is importing with the selected lines.

Hi @Mikedk64

There's prob a few ways to solve this for you. Just to throw this one in, how about...

Create a worksheet that will be your 'Line Legend'.

Set it up to add records for your (you say) about 20-30 coloured lines. Each has a (nominal) colour description added as a record and at the same time the (standard) notes that will be used as the 'explanation' to your clients. Records format will be set additionally to suite your requirements.

Use Summarise (we only need an instance rather than a list), together with an Image (last column here) to give all you need. 

1716592479_ScreenShot2018-05-02at12_51_20.thumb.png.423d58c22d0b3f5927add3d9701e0010.png

This will pick up instances of the records (line length etc not used). It will disregard those without a record (of course!) - so the green line isn't 'seen' on this LEGEND and the five reds are not counted individually.

Being narrow, can be used in the Notes Margin of the drawing.

Obviously needs some refinement (Headers and position of the columns, etc..) which you would want to do for your own company use.

This offered as an 'idea' to get you started.

Hi @Gadzooks

Thats sound cool.

I am not at all good at this worksheet stuff.

Am I lucky that you have the time to create a quick VW example of what you mean. Just a file, as I can build on :)

@Grant_PD

That's a way to do it. Except that I get spaces between the lines, when I hide som classes in the middle.

I would use an idea of using a worksheet as Gadzooks has suggested, but I would use it a little differently.

I would create a design layer to house examples of all your line types.

Create a custom record with fields for whatever you need to put into your explanations, plus an extra boolean field for "OnList" or similar.

Put an example of each line type on to the "legend data" design layer, attach the record to each example and fill in the data.

Create a worksheet with a database row. LegendRecord.OnList it true.

This should give you a subrow for each object that has the OnList field set to true.

Put in formulas of =LegendRecord.Explaination and =Image into different column headers.

This should give you a working version that still will require a bunch of formatting.

I have posted a couple of novels about worksheet recently. Do a search and you will get a good start on how to use worksheets. 

I am pretty certain that there will be Worksheet Sessions a the Design Summit in November. If you can wait that long.

Example file attached.  Select any line, uncheck OnLegend in the data pane of the OIP.

Right click on the worksheet image and choose Recalculate from the bottom of the list. The Legend will update.

The worksheet image can be put on any Layer you choose. It does not have to be the sheet with the sample lines.

Worksheet of Line Explainations.vwx

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Gadzooks said:

Obviously needs some refinement .....

Haha @Pat Stanford - like a trout with a fly 🤗. Epic as usual Pat.

@Mikedk64 stick with 'The Force'. Better than anything I'd have produced. 

And let us know when you've 'gone live' with it - it would be nice to know it's been a useful result for you..

23 hours ago, Mikedk64 said:

the "image" in the worksheet doesn't have the same line thickness

The 'image' can only be thought of as 'illustrative'. It's not a 'cut and paste' of the CAD you see when you place something on the design layer. 

There is a certain amount of 'tweaking' you can do. I'd recommend you start into some of the online help VW offers...

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2018/eng/index.htm#t=VW2018_Guide%2FWorksheets%2FInserting_Images_in_Worksheet_Cells.htm&rhsearch=image on worksheet&rhhlterm=image on worksheet&rhsyns=

Also (although its is now old) the video link on that page will maybe help you understand what you can 'ask' of the Image Function.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P1rfhKwD-Q

Bearing in mind your OP was after a way to show colours in a Legend, I think it should be exactly what you need. Take a couple of minutes out to see what adjustments you need for your own (company) use.

Hope that helps.

Just adding an adjustment for you @Mikedk64

Taking Pat's scenario - he suggested..

On 5/2/2018 at 4:51 PM, Pat Stanford said:

I would create a design layer to house examples of all your line types.

So the 'typical' lines will reside off drawing so to speak.

If you make those lines as thick as you can - say 6.48mm (VW max) - you'll end up with a representation perhaps better suited to what you need.

Using Pat's file I adjusted the larger Red and Blue to this (even!) larger size and the below is the effect you'll get.

1264481587_ScreenShot2018-05-04at12_03_05.thumb.png.247511dcbf5d73cd5afcc0061a5d60a9.png

Try that for yourself initially. Just that change may provide what you want.

Edited by Gadzooks

If you put your sample lines on a layer with a relatively large scale (like 1:1 hint, hint) and draw them to the length that you want them to display in the worksheet, I think you can use the Fixed Size options to get what you need. It may take a little playing, but it should be doable.

VW tries to scale the object down to fit in the cell. If you have a 1foot long line it is going to scale both the X and Y dimensions by 12 if it is trying to fit into a 1" wide cell. This is going to make all the lines look very thin. Putting a 1" line into a 1" cell should not require any scaling and you should get actual wine thickness.

• Like 2

I think I just make the lines thicker :)

Another thing. As you told, did I attach a record to my lines. This working fine, but is it possible to force it to stand on the record everytime I chose the lines.

ex.

I do some work on my drawings, making lines, text etc. Then I want to turn on some of my signatures. I go to my signature layer, and pick the line i want to turn on.

Hit the "data" tab in the OI, but then VW automatic those "default ifcAnnotation" and then I have to pick the custom record myself.

So is it possible to make the default to be on the custom record.

I Know this a little thing, but it would make the job easier for a lot of people in my company

The only way I can think of to do this would be to create "BLUE" symbols of the different line types with the record attached. The Blue label is created when you check the Convert to Group option in the Create Symbol Dialog box. If you only have a single object (the line with the record attached), when you place the symbol it will actually insert it as a line and not as a group.

Alternatively, a very simple tool could be created that would just attach the specific record to a clicked object.