Create new sheet layer and import from existing file

I can create new design layers from an existing file and there is the option to include layer objects. It all works fine

If I create a sheet layer and import from an existing file there is no such option. The sheet layer sets up fine but there is no viewport on the sheet layer that exists in the file I am importing from.

Is there a way to carry over the viewport?

thank you

You can't import sheet layer objects that way as far as I'm aware. It would be really good if you could as I often want to import a sheet layer from another drawing complete with all it's layer objects such as titleblocks, scale bars, north points, worksheets, notes viewports etc etc. At the moment all you get is a page set up and sheet title & sheet no.

For all the sheet layer objects you have to do a cut & past in place.

For viewports though you can't directly cut and paste them from one file to another however a cool trick passed onto me by @Jonathan Pickup is if you group a viewport you can then cut & paste the group from one file to another. The viewport will transfer inside a group. Very handy trick!

So there are two wishlist items here (they may already be on the wishlist part of forum?):

1. To be able to include sheet layer objects in the import layer command (including viewports).
  2. To be able to copy & paste viewports between files.
  • Like 2

Thank Boh

you can transfer a viewport to a design layer but then can't go from there to a sheet layer. If I group the viewport and copy/paste it only copies the annotations and not the design layer content unfortunately.

thanks again

14 hours ago, barkest said:

you can transfer a viewport to a design layer but then can't go from there to a sheet layer.

Not sure what you mean here... DLVP's can't be pasted onto sheet layers or SLVP's pasted into design layers - even within the same file.

I may have misunderstood. I thought you were interested in sheet layer viewports. You can transfer SLVP's between sheet layers in different files by grouping then cut and paste,. You can't transfer DLVP's this way however. I don't know a method of transferring DLVP's between files other than creating new and using the eyedropper tool to match properties.

15 hours ago, barkest said:

If I group the viewport and copy/paste it only copies the annotations and not the design layer content unfortunately.

Note that the actual objects in design layers visible in the viewport will not transfer - only the SLVP itself (along with it's crop object and annotations).

If the files have the same classes though then the visibility settings for the viewport should be maintained.

To get the design layer content you would have to copy & paste it separately to the viewport (or import the design layer and incl content in the import.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful.

• Like 1