Viewport Out of Date

Dear VW lovers!

Q&A

Is there a way to avoid for a Viewport to become 'Out of Date' when simply going to an associated Design Layer of the Viewport?

Example

I go to a Design Layer - either by: 

A) Double Click on a VP --> Edit Viewport --> Design Layer

or

B) via the Navigation Palette

I don't change anything on the Design Layer. I only activate everything and copy it.

This in order e.g. to copy paste it to a new and unrelated Design Layer to try out some things.

By that time ALL VIEWPORTS associated with the Design Layer are out of Date.

If I go direct and simply --> 'Duplicate the Design Layer' then of course all associated VPS are also Out of Date because they attach themselves automatically to DL duplicates.

Soooo frustrating and time-consuming to re-render everything ....

Is there a 'Work-Around" to this or am I the only one experiencing this?

Cheers,

Grethe

Hi Mark,

thank you for our input.

1) Your first suggestion is a great visual way which I use at times when I e.g. present on my laptop and there is no point to re-render every single Viewport, unless they are really out of date in their settings.

2) Your second suggestion - " ... turn on viewport cache in document preferences ... " is always on.

I just checked on this setting - and it says that unless it's checked all VPs have to be re-rendered upon opening the file, which would not be useful.

Basically I need the VPs not to become 'Out of Date' when simply going onto the related Design layer without making any changes ...