Open Type Font (Tekton Pro) export to pdf/publish error

briland23

Question

Good day,

I have recently noticed that my Tekton Pro font, when either exported or published to pdf, and when the text has been left-justified, then the pdf text will have little rectangles with crossed lines introduced to the text block. Take a look at the attached pdf for a visual. I have also included the vectorworks file.

After checking through the kbase conversations, I hadn't landed on a specific statement about support for open type fonts in recent years. There were some posts about ten years ago. My hunch is that something changed with the recent 2018 version, or one of the subsequent service packs as I had no previous problems with this font in 2017.

I would like to be able to export to pdf, and then have my fonts available for last minute editing by Acrobat DC. And yes, I can rasterize the text blocks just fine without any incident. And I have deleted and reinstalled the font on my mac prior to reaching out to this forum. Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

ireland_font_test_180426.vwx

ireland font test 180426_8.pdf

5 answers to this question

Your Tekton Pro font is a TrueType font, not necessarily an OpenType TrueType font. OpenType CFF (Postcript style) fonts support got introduced two or three versions ago I think.

I assume the centered version is a copy of the left aligned version and just the horizontal alignment got changed? I.e. no retyping of text with a possibly different line end?

rDesign: Saving to PDF does provide an effective print copy. However, with larger publication sets, that sheet-by-sheet process will become cumbersome as well.

Art V: My Tekton fonts have .otf file type suffixes.

And yes, the centered version is a copy of the text, center justified.

Also, I work between a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro. Both machines produce the error.

Thanks~

B

10 minutes ago, briland23 said:

Art V: My Tekton fonts have .otf file type suffixes.

This is odd, as both old-style TrueType fonts and OpenType TTF fonts use the .ttf extension. OpenType PostScript style fonts use the .otf suffix. Yet my PDF software lists your Tekton Pro font as a TrueType font and not as a OpenType or Postcript font.

You may want to double check on duplicate copies of the font and perhaps do a repair through Fontbook or another font utility. The rectangle with the cross/X in it usually means that the character is not available in the font so it cannot show it properly. Why it is affected by the horizontal alignment I don't know, so that is another odd thing.

Maybe @JimW knows if the way VW2018 handles fonts has been changed.

It may be related to the changes made in VW2018 when implementing Unicode support. The issue is showing up on my machine when exporting PDFs from your file too. The workaround would be to turn on "Wrap Text" and remove the carriage returns from your text. Control the width of the text block by manually setting it in the OIP.

I would encourage you to Bug Submit the issue as well.

Kevin