Quick way to identify a file's VW version

Jim Smith

Question

We have some projects that we want to revisit for minor changes/additions. I don't like to batch convert a file unless there's a good reason to do so & I would like to open the file in its' "native" format. The date of a file doesn't always tell me that info until one opens the file. For example, a project could have been started in VW 2014 and worked on until 2016. It could have been one of four different versions of VW. Short of adding some kind of note in the folder it would be helpful if there was some way to quickly identify what version of VW a file is. 

8 answers to this question

You could create a record that contains the VW file format version. I use it in quite a few drawing border templates (in some it cannot be used because of client requirements) to indicate the file format version of the drawing (not necessarily the same as the program version as sometimes I need to save the file to an older version's file format).

If VW would have this as a predefined record that extracts the file format version combined with the option to list this particular record content in the file properties could then solve the issue of figuring out which file format the file is.

Our rule is once a project is out of SD unless there's a good reason, the project is completed in the iteration of VW it was created in. What that iteration is, isn't always obvious. 

Other than guess, is there not some way that when one uses the "get info" command that the iteration of VW can be shown? Even if one opens try a cold open of the file, can VW not tell me "hey this is a VW 2016 file, do you want to continue?" rather than just telling me what I know, that this isn't a VW2019 file. 

• Like 2

The only option I am aware of is to open an unknown File in a Text Editor,

check the Created with Version Number in the first few Text Rows,

Translate that Version Number, something like VW 28 or so, into a human readable

Version Number like VW 2017,

(By checking a current VW File's VW XX number in Editor and counting down)

and you will have the Version Number the File was created.

I think this is still not the current VW Version Number File State,

Just the Version the initial File was once created.

Which could show that it originates from a File Template initially done in VW 2012,

while effectively the File was multiple times migrated and last time saved from

a VW 2017 Version.

(?)

• Like 1