File name in Title Block

Hi,

In my custom title block, I have a file name field, thats automatic takes the dokument file name at use this in the titel block.

But if i rename my file and open it, the title block is still using the old name. If I then open the title border settings, the title block updates itself.

My quistion is. Why dosent it update automatic when i open the file, and are there a easy way to update all title block in the file in one go?

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am currently creating a set of drawing templates and encounter this exact same issue. It seems like it has been an issue since last year and has this been resolved? It is cumbersome to have to manually update the title blocks on all the sheets that have been set up whenever I need to create a new file.

If someone has a solution, please let me know. 

• 10 months later...
On 10/9/2019 at 7:41 PM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Resetting the Title Block Border updates its value for File Name. You could do this for all TBBs in the file by executing Tools->Utilities->Reset All Plug-ins.

I tried this on a VAA Title Block, but sadly it had no effect.

I was stupidly hopeful that we could use the first part of the file name as the Job Number on our Title Block, but as usual, Vectorworks fails to deliver! As the suffix to our Job Number changes with each version, this would have ensured that an issued version tallies with a file name [ie: 12345 (WD07)], without all the intricacies of a transmittal sheet!

It does work, but in order to see the latest/current file name we have to open and close each Title Block... Not practical!

As we have willingly jumped to Archicad, and after years of loyalty to Vectorworks, we have no intention of "downgrading/cross grading" from VW2018, so unfortunately we will not benefit from a "fix". Fixes that have been promised if we do renew our licenses fall a long way short of being a big enough carrot to change our minds...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
9 hours ago, MaleXLR said:

I tried this on a VAA Title Block, but sadly it had no effect.

Are you using VAA Title Block or Title Block Border? These are two separate objects and they behave differently. In here we are discussing the Title Block Border object, which is new to VW 2018.

9 hours ago, MaleXLR said:

As we have willingly jumped to Archicad, and after years of loyalty to Vectorworks, we have no intention of "downgrading/cross grading" from VW2018, so unfortunately we will not benefit from a "fix". Fixes that have been promised if we do renew our licenses fall a long way short of being a big enough carrot to change our minds...

- The Title Block Border object has improved a lot in the next versions, taking in account user feedback and wishes. You can take a look at the VW help index or some of the posts in this forum to see how it is behaving in the newer versions. Maybe it will be working fine for you.

Thanks Nikolay,

I tried both the VAA and the Title Block Border and sadly, both gave the same result in that if the CAD file name changes the file name shown on the title block remains as the original file name until the title block is updated. In the case of multiple sheets of title blocks I tried utilities and scripts to "update all", but none of them worked.

Having the file name update automatically would be of huge benefit officewide, but at this stage it doesn't seem possible and relying on staff to remember to update every sheet has obvious, inherent problems!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 11:05 PM, MaleXLR said:

I tried both the VAA and the Title Block Border and sadly, both gave the same result in that if the CAD file name changes the file name shown on the title block remains as the original file name until the title block is updated. In the case of multiple sheets of title blocks I tried utilities and scripts to "update all", but none of them worked.

If you are using the field CAD File Name, you must know that it is a custom field and it is not actually linked to the file name. Have you tried using the "File Name" field of the Project Data? It is not editable and is always showing the file name of the active file, unless you rename it outside of VW.

Let me know if you need any help finding this field. Also, you can send me an image of the field you are using in the TBB Settings dialog, or a test file, so that I could see what exactly are you trying.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hi Nikolay,

Thanks for keeping this alive - especially for us (fallen by the wayside) VW 2018 users who won't benefit from future bug fixes, although my ongoing argument has been that failures in tools such as the title block, WinDoor, etc., mean that the whole product is not "Fit for Purpose" and as such, users should be offered remedies, regardless of their Service Select status. We paid enough with Service Select and consensus was that "updating" involved introducing new bugs and glossing over old ones. Do I sound frustrated? Yes, because I have spent much unchargeable time training myself and finding VW workarounds, but ultimately, when the rest of the staff threw up their arms and said enough is enough, I had no choice but to put Archicad above VW...

But I digress (again). Yes, I am using a standard field - "Project Data.File Name" and am half way through finishing a worksheet to view all fields of all active Title Blocks.

The frustration is the same as the VAA Title Block, ie: the field does not automatically update when the File Name changes, even after closing and reopening VW.

A couple of workarounds (there's that word again). By opening and closing each Title Block dialogue box the File Name changes (whether you want it to or not), but only for that sheet.

A better workaround is to open the dialogue box, go to the project data and make a random change, ie: delete a digit and replace it with the same digit, then the Project Data.File Name change for all Title Blocks. Clunky, not create for good officewide procedure, but works!

Another grizzle and probably not worth a new Topic, but VAA did automatically populate the Scale(s) field with those scales on any viewports on the sheet layer. Amazing, Good procedure, but like many other good and useful functions, gone under the guise of "progress".

image.thumb.png.cbd80555f831b7956af613c0b7249ffb.png

• Like 1

Regarding the filename field, I had to stop using it in my title block a couple months ago because it seemed to only update intermittently. I feel like it worked reliably for a couple months, then one day I noticed it was displaying an old filename, and after that I was unable to get it to work reliably again. (Having to remember to manually refresh TBBs is not an option... too unreliable). I didn't have time to figure out reproducible steps to cause the issue, but it seems like there's a bug in there somewhere waiting to be found.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

I didn't have time to figure out reproducible steps to cause the issue, but it seems like there's a bug in there somewhere waiting to be found.

Frustrating. Nice to know that you're not alone, but I do imagine Aliens coming down and questioning our intelligence when they find that we purchase software that hasn't been proven in the field and then we end up being unpaid Beta Testers!

Forget enlightenment - we haven't even got to the "common sense" state...

But wait... There's more... Another nail in the already hermetically sealed coffin...

When will I learn that halfway through customising something for the office, I find Vectorworks lacking or failing. Latest is:

Regardless of whether "Use Automatic Drawing Coordination" is ticked or not, if I make a change on my worksheet [='Title Block Sheet Data'.'Sheet Number'], on the surface it seems to work. If I look at the Title Block it hasn't changed, but when I check the Sheet Data, it matches my worksheet.

HOWEVER, when I close the Sheet Data and open it again, it has magically reverted back to the number, pre-worksheet change... GIVE ME STRENGTH... What a waste of bloody time!

image.thumb.png.79b46474c97dd5718ebee7b662bd6d3c.png

Hello @MaleXLR,

The Title Block Border in 2018 was introduced to replace the VAA Title Block and the Sheet Border. Since the VAA was a third party product, we seem to have missed some functionalities that it had, however, over the years and receiving your feedback, we have been continuously improving the Title Block Border object. In the next versions you will find the ability to have automatically populated Scale based on viewports, as well as the ability to edit multiple TBBs at once, using the Title Block Manager and many more improvements requested by users. You can check how the TBB looks in future versions checking the VW help site and looking for the Title Block Border help there.

I am sorry to hear that you have issues working with the TBB and I am trying to help you overcome these issues and fix any bugs that come out from the forum here.

As for revision data, in VW2018 we are using one record for revisions with one field for Number, one for Date, etc. instead of multiple fields (Number-1, Number-2...). This is the way VAA Title Block worked too, if I am not wrong. In order to get the single revision data you have to either use the Title Block worksheet reports or use the worksheet formula SUBSTRING.

Auto drawing coordination - Make sure to use the same status for Use Auto Drawing Coordination in your TBBs and in your document settings to avoid undesired results.

Finally, about the file name, if you change the file name you will have to reset all title blocks using Tools->Utilities->Reset All Plug-Ins in order to update their file name (or using the way with Project Data change, which you found). The reason for this is that not everyone would be happy if their title blocks get reset on each file name change.

Any wishes, suggestions and improvements that you would like, you can always write them here in the forum and we will consider them.

Let me know of any other questions/issues that you have.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

The reason for this is that not everyone would be happy if their title blocks get reset on each file name change.

By this do you mean the potential delay that updating all the TBB objects would cause, or that some people wouldn't want their filename field to update at all? I assume the former, which makes sense. In fact, I'm fine if the TBB doesn't update immediately when I change the filename, however the problem I experienced is that the filename wouldn't update when Publishing or Exporting to PDF. I would expect that the "Reset all plug-in objects that require a reset prior to exporting" checkbox would cause the TBB to refresh the filename prior to exporting, but that was not the case...

10 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

over the years and receiving your feedback, we have been continuously improving the Title Block Border object

The TBB tool is one of the few tools where it's apparent that feedback is being heard and the tool has been improved year to year since being released. I wish all new tools got this attention. Thank you again @Nikolay Zhelyazkov

12 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello @MaleXLR,

I am sorry to hear that you have issues working with the TBB and I am trying to help you overcome these issues and fix any bugs that come out from the forum here.

Thanks Nikolay and just reiterating Andy, it's nice to know that there is a listening ear at Vectorworks. It is never by choice that we whinge, just a desire to work as productively as we can with the tools available...

Auto drawing coordination - Make sure to use the same status for Use Auto Drawing Coordination in your TBBs and in your document settings to avoid undesired results.

Title Block and Document settings match, but results are still unreliable and inconsistent, coupled with the fact that what is shown on the Title Block may not be the same unless you open and close the dialogue box and the information on the Worksheet may not be correct unless you remember to recalculate!

Finally, about the file name, if you change the file name you will have to reset all title blocks using Tools->Utilities->Reset All Plug-Ins in order to update their file name (or using the way with Project Data change, which you found). The reason for this is that not everyone would be happy if their title blocks get reset on each file name change.

Granted, we are using the File Name in an unusual way, but it did have the potential to ensure that the Job Number/Project ID ALWAYS matches the current file name. I have used the File Name with VAA so that when a sheet is Published/Printed, there is a firm reference to the file that is was printed from, to avoid potential confusion. There is little point in naming a file "12345A", for instance, when each sheet may have a revision version that isn't "A". The File Name embedded ensures coordination and also give some legal ground for confirming that the drawing presented originated from a particular file. I honestly can't think of a reason to not have the field automatically change!

Finally, about the file name, if you change the file name you will have to reset all title blocks using Tools->Utilities->Reset All Plug-Ins in order to update their file name

I had read this on the forum and although I can't claim that it isn't a problem with our setup, template, workspace, etc., each time I have tried this, it has not worked!

...and as mentioned at the beginning of this post, please don't get disillusioned or take these comments personally. I/we truly appreciate your input. My "nail in the coffin" comment may seem harsh, but I personally have a copy of Designer and my Employer has at least seven VW Architect licenses, of which only three are being used - and only because it is more convenient to work on existing jobs with Vectorworks rather than import them into Archicad. As the weeks pass, there is less need for Vectorworks in the office.

Before committing to Archicad, we feel we gave our supplier sufficient notice that we were dissatisfied with Vectorworks, Service Select and the "support". We had quite a number of outstanding queries (beyond training issues) that were never successfully resolved, but is was still met with surprise and disbelief that we would actually do more than just threaten to not renew our licenses. At that stage there were accusations and blame levelled at our computers, our operating system, our graphics cards, our network and some quite nasty aspersions levelled at me personally.

I have avoided any development/customisation of Vectorworks for a while until this Title Block exercise and this has just reminded me of the frustration of working with Vectorworks tools that may or may not work. I have claimed previously that Vectorworks is not "fit for purpose" and here in New Zealand I am sure that our Disputes Tribunal process would uphold that to the point of granting us a refund. This would reimburse me for some of the many unchargeable hours spent on trying in vain to use Vectorworks in a professional environment, but the limit of about $5000 per claim would not even cover a small percentage of the downtime for crashes, rebuilding from the VW Backup folder, corrupt files, delays with on-line activation, bugs affecting the completion of contracts, (not to mention the time each individual staff member has committed to learning and adapting to Vectorworks "ways"), etc., that my employer has faced, but has had to pay wages to the affected staff, regardless.

13 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

I would expect that the "Reset all plug-in objects that require a reset prior to exporting" checkbox would cause the TBB to refresh the filename prior to exporting, but that was not the case...

10 hours ago, MaleXLR said:

I had read this on the forum and although I can't claim that it isn't a problem with our setup, template, workspace, etc., each time I have tried this, it has not worked!

- Okay, I have just tested to make sure and it seems Reset all plug-in objects is not updating the File Name in VW 2018 SP6, but it does in VW 2019 SP6 and VW 2020 SP4. @Andy Broomell - there was a bug in VW 2020 SP3 that was fixed in SP4 about this, so if you are using SP4 now it should be working fine for you in publish too. Let me know if that is not the case.

10 hours ago, MaleXLR said:

Title Block and Document settings match, but results are still unreliable and inconsistent, coupled with the fact that what is shown on the Title Block may not be the same unless you open and close the dialogue box and the information on the Worksheet may not be correct unless you remember to recalculate!

- Could you send me a test file so that I can analyze it?

Thanks again for the feedback! 🙂

On 9/11/2020 at 5:49 PM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- Okay, I have just tested to make sure and it seems Reset all plug-in objects is not updating the File Name in VW 2018 SP6, but it does in VW 2019 SP6 and VW 2020 SP4. @Andy Broomell - there was a bug in VW 2020 SP3 that was fixed in SP4 about this, so if you are using SP4 now it should be working fine for you in publish too. Let me know if that is not the case.

You must surely appreciate that, with the resources available and being stuck with VW 2018, I am doing my utmost to prove that Vectorworks is still a viable option, despite goading by the happy Archicad users in the office. With every step, the ongoing problem with unfixed bugs just confirms with the Directors that Vectorworks is not viable...

Rhetorical question, but as Vectorworks 2018 was bought with the assumption of being "fit for purpose", will any effort be made to rectify this, as it is recognised as a bug?

8 hours ago, MaleXLR said:

Rhetorical question, but as Vectorworks 2018 was bought with the assumption of being "fit for purpose", will any effort be made to rectify this, as it is recognised as a bug?

- Unfortunately, it is a bit too late to make fixes to VW2018 while we have this bug fixed in VW2019. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Like 1

- Unfortunately, it is a bit too late to make fixes to VW2018 while we have this bug fixed in VW2019. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Is it only me that can see the injustice (verging on corruption) of this and is it only with the advent of "IT" that businesses feel they can get away with this?

We all know that the Title Block Tool is just one of the many components that doesn't do entirely what it should do!

VECTORWORKS 2018 (as well as previous versions) IS DEFECTIVE...

If you or I bought a microwave oven and found that it didn't perform or meet its written specifications, it would be within our rights to return it for a full and unequivocal refund.