How to convert old MiniCAD .mcd files

• 1 month later...

Can I solicit a conversion of a couple of MiniCad files as well? The pandemic had me throw out the scenic pieces that I made in 1995 as I didn't think the show would return but it is coming back for 2022 so I need to recreate them. I'm using VW 2020 but I'd be happy with just a pdf of the page.  The files are located here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2z61t4vtx5lfuh/hilton speaker shelf elev.mcd?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5e04cxuxe6eof2w/Hilton spkr shelf plan.mcd?dl=0

Pretty remarkable how small MiniCad files were. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Edited by Riley Casey

Hello Riley,

From your date of 1995, I suspect the files were created with MC 5, or earlier. When I opened your files I got errors. Initially I got a "This file was saved in a BETA version" error when I opened the files in older versions of the program. Then I tried forcing the file types and creators to MiniCAD versions 2 through 6 but received a " Resource Manager" error. You're right the files are small. These files are almost as small as blank documents. I am wondering if all of the file's data are present. If your files had any complexity to them they should be somewhat bigger.

If you find different backups please try back. Sorry I cannot help further at this time.

Raymond

It is probably created with MC5 or earlier, I have a conversion program from the local distributor to convert MC4/5 - MC7 files to MC8 (the converter is basically a stripped down version of MC8), but it does give the beta version error as well or the message that the file was created with an older version of MiniCAD or that it may not be a MiniCAD file.

Maybe VW tech support can still open the files assuming they are not corrupted, otherwise as @MullinRJ mentioned your only hope may be a backup copy of those files that we could try to convert.

• 10 months later...

Hello,

I also have a MCD file from 2010 that I would like to convert to PDF (I don't have current Vectorworks product). It is a small home remodel that I am hoping I don't have to re-create. If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!! 🙂

Tommy

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anybody could help me convert 5 minicad drawings MCD files to Vectorworks VWX files. I have managed to open the MCD file with the VectorWorks converter but unable to save as the VWX file format. The date on the minicad MCD drawing title block is 2001, I am not sure what version of minicad these were drawn on. I only have the free version of Vectorworks Viewer.

Greatly appreciated if anyone can help.

Regards

Andy

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tDyeLS-dqBt2zqAsXqGbJphlPZcHgzlu?usp=sharing

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Keiyau said:

Hi all,

Could you possibly convert below old mcd. files into formats I can see in Vectorworks 2023 viewer? I am not sure of minicad version I used back in 2002. It would be fantastic if I could see these old files I have created while I was in Japanese Uni.

Kind Regards

Keiya

https://aejadmin-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/keiyau_aej_com_au/Ej7AEc7yAk5OtLeB1wnigSoBmnkfxtEURxVHnwUIhwEyfA?e=BxI23w

Here you go. I think I managed to map the fonts correctly.

Archive.zip

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Hello,

I was wondering if somebody could help me please.  I have a few old Vectorworks (or rather MiniCAD) files from 1999 - please see link below. We've been recently asked to revisit the project (after 25 years!) and would greatly benefit from being able to use/edit the drawings electronically. Would you be able to help with the conversion please? We are using Vectorworks 2024 but we still have an easy access to 2023 version if that would be any easier.

https://we.tl/t-kpPYeUix7E

Warm wishes,

Magdalena

3 minutes ago, JuanP said:

@Magdalena W, I tried one of your files in Vectorworks 2024, and they opened fine. You may need to add .mcd at the end of the file name. 

Hi Juan,

Thank you so much for looking into it so swiftly! I followed your suggestion and add .mcd. I also tried .vwx. Unfortunately, neither worked and when opening the files the following message popped up:

image.thumb.png.a0f5c9ec94c54ab9c86ee51bbe73bac9.png

Can you please provide further advice.

Warm wishes,

Magdalena

Hello @Arnold_Hoekstra,

I tried opening your file in several versions of VW and MiniCAD (VW12, VW8, MC7, MC6, MC5, & MC4) to no avail. It appears the file is damaged. Do you have another copy?

When I downloaded the file, it had no File Type or Creator codes assigned. I added MC+4 / CDP3 for MiniCAD 4 &5 files, which did not work. Then I tried MC6d / CDP3 for MiniCAD 6 files. This also did not work. I got one of two messages, "This file is damaged!", or "Resource Manager error!". If this is your only copy, you might want to send it to the VW engineers to see if they can resurrect it.

Good luck,

Raymond

• Like 1