Christiaan

Alternative to Apple Wiki Server?

Apple is deprecating their Wiki Server software. Which is a shame because we love it, we use it for everything that needs to be written down; project notes, office manual, knowledge base, checklists, etc.

Problem is I'm having a lot of trouble finding a suitable replacement. The only thing that comes close is Confluence but even then it doesn't match Apple's ease of use.

Any suggestions?

?

That thing that was on my Mac Mini Server around 2009 ?

Didn't realize that people use/love/rely on it nor that Apple has stopped support now.

Other than that I get now my first 32-Bit warnings O.o

ha, yeah that's the one.

Funnily enough we'd ditched everything except file sharing, VPN and the wiki, then we started using Dropbox and didn't even need file sharing or VPN. So now we have a mac mini server to run a wiki :D

Unfortunately I don't know any Wiki Apps or Cloud Services.

Seems you have to switch to Pages with iCloud Collaboration ;)

Hi Christiaan 

We have the same problem. Have been using the apple wiki a lot on the old server and need a replacement.

We moved our mail server to outlook.365, and as part of the oneDrive there is a wiki option. I haven't had time to study the options yet but the first impression is  not as easy or straight forward as the old wiki.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2018 at 9:08 PM, zoomer said:

Unfortunately I don't know any Wiki Apps or Cloud Services.

Seems you have to switch to Pages with iCloud Collaboration ;)

No hyperlinks!

Posted (edited)

I’m guessing that you’ve already seen this Apple support page: Prepare for changes to macOS Server

It lists the following as alternatives to Apple Wiki: MediaWiki, PmWiki, XWiki, Confluence, WordPress WMX files.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, thanks, the only one that comes close is Confluence, but it's still miles away.

Not entirely sure what WordPress WMX files is.

Edited by Christiaan

I am so late to post this but wanted to share incase other come across this in their search.  Our office was a very heavy user of the Apple Server and we have started to use SamePage as a replacement.  Does exactly what we were utilizing the wiki for but better.  There is a cost for it but very reasonable charge for the service.  https://www.samepage.io 

Thanks for the link @Anne Here's an update from me half a year later (-:

We still use a Mac mini for file sharing and homepage hosting but has moved all other services off the server. 

• email / contacts / calendars / is office365 
  • document sharing to clients and contractors - sharepoint / one drive
  • Wiki is moved to sharepoint and was quite easy to learn and is not far from the wiki on our old apple server.
  • Backup is Crashplan 
  • Like 1