Viewport Filters

Jershaun

Question

Recently Revit 2019 enhanced it's visibility filters by adding an "OR" option which makes this feature even more powerful than what it was. For those who don't understand Revit's visibility settings, one can control elements from being shown or not, overriding colours, etc. eg. some copies of a family (equal to vw symbols) can be visible and other copies of the same family (symbol) can be invisible.

My wish would be to have a filter option for vw viewports. However, for this to work effectively (with the power found in Revit) another feature need to be added, that is, parameters. Eg. various parameters can be applied to symbols then using the filter option, certain copies of a symbol can be visible and other ones (of the same symbol) can have their colours overridden, etc.

Htms,

Jershaun

12 answers to this question

If I got that right VW had a Visibility (Hide, Isolate, ...) Feature by object in the past

and it is still there - but not easy/directly accessible.

I think @Pat Stanfordknows more ....

As for overwriting Attributes, there is no Symbols on None Class = Atrributes of Class

it will be placed, but such overwrite for Viewports is normally done by using assignments

by Class and the ability to overwrite Classes for each viewport.

May not be as straight forward as Revit but I think it covers most cases though.

Edited by zoomer

@zoomer is talking about the Custom Visibility menu item. It can be added to your workspace from the Legacy items.

Custom Visibility either lets you set the visibility of items specified by criteria to either visible or invisible (I don't have VW open at the moment and can't remember is Grey is an option. I don't think it is). It also let's you save small scripts based on the criteria  and settings entered.

In a new file, probably the first thing I do is have it create a script call Show All.  The criteria is All Objects and the operation is make visible.

I also like to make scripts for Hide Selected and Hide Not Selected. These can give you a lot of control over what is visible in the drawing without a lot of work.

Your criteria can get as complicated as you like, so you can be very specific in your visibility settings. Pick the Layers, classes, object types, record.field values. Whatever you need.

Write back if you need more help.

It won't let you override the colors of different instances though.

I think what @Jershaun needs to look at is Viewport Data Visualisation. This feature was added a couple of versions back and is really helpful and will almost certainly be able to handle what the video above described.

If you haven't spotted it, there is a button on a Sheet Layer Viewport called Data Visualisation. This is only available in Sheet Layers Viewports and not section viewports.

Hope that works for you

Pat, I don't want to select items. Vw does have a powerful selection filter to. I want to set the viewport for printing purposes. And if I have many sheets, I can set these filters I'm talking about with view templates (in Revit).

Markdd, Yes this comes closest to what I'm talking about. However, this is nowhere close to the power of Revit, especially now with the "OR" option. Revit gives the user full control over ANY object in ANY view. Vw (or the vw programmers) give you control only of items it/they choose and as you say in plan view only.

Anyway, this is typical of how vw operates therefore for the last 5 years I've been using Revit for BIM and I only use vw (on a part time basis) together with c4d for presentation purposes only. Prior to this, I was a major fan of vw (since the 90s😄) therefore I'll always have a soft spot for vw. I just thought I'd suggest this feature because using Revit daily, I know how powerful and flexible this is in my workflow.

10 minutes ago, Jershaun said:

Markdd, Yes this comes closest to what I'm talking about. However, this is nowhere close to the power of Revit, especially now with the "OR" option. Revit gives the user full control over ANY object in ANY view. Vw (or the vw programmers) give you control only of items it/they choose and as you say in plan view only.

Just to clarify, currently data visualisation works on any parametric/plug-in, or symbol object as well as any item with a record attached. I have made really good use of it in Hidden Line and Dashed Hidden line 3D views as well.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jershaun said:

Pat, I don't want to select items. Vw does have a powerful selection filter to. I want to set the viewport for printing purposes. And if I have many sheets, I can set these filters I'm talking about with view templates (in Revit).

I am not at all familiar with Revit, (and don't have time to check it now), so I don't know how that works. You do not have to select objects, you can use any criteria you choose (Layer, class, object type, Record present, Field value =/</>/<>/contains, pen color, fill color, etc.) It can be very powerful.

I only mentioned selected because you talked about being able to deal with individual objects. Seem that the easiest way to handle a single object would be to select it and tell it to hide.

Since this has been around for a very long time in VW without much change, it is probably not as smooth as the Revit version. I don't know how it compares in terms of functionality.

I happen to think it is pretty cool and in some cases extremely useful.

• Like 1