Revision Cloud locking VW 11???

Has anyone had any issues with the Revision Cloud tool locking VW up?? I have two file working on tonite and when I tried to use the tool in a 1/2"=1'-0 layer the cloud went wacko and I could not do anything. I shut down restarted and there was the cloud but each time I tried to edit it or delete it VW would lock right up. I finally got rid of it somehow and then switched to a 1:1 layer and it worked OK.

What's up with the tool in other than 1:1 layers??

Again the manual is no help at all........ As always I went back to my old standby VW8.5.2 and the revision tool works the same on any layer regardless of scale.

The Clip Tool, the Extend Tool and now the Revision Cloud Tool. Why would you change the basic things that have always worked????????

Still frustrated and plugging away....

Tom Marino in PA

Katie,

I had this happen again today. I went to use the default settings for the cloud and VW just locked up, nothing would work and VW had CPU usage pegged out. I could do nothing with the keyboard or mouse. I finally did a Cntl-Alt-Del and got out. I rebooted and restarted VW and tried to open the file. It was slow in opening and as soosn as I tried to select the cloud to delete, crash occured again. When I opened it a third time I figured I would just draw a selection box around it to select. As soon as I got near it I lost the selection box. I finally got it selected with the box and it deleted. The file appeared normal after that so I know the cause of the crashes was the Cloud Tool and nothing else.

Any thoughts............

Thanks,

Tom Marino in PA

Just because you have a new video card, doesn't necessarily mean the video driver that came with the video card or microsoft issues is the latest version.

You should verify the version installed vs the latest version available from the manufacturer of the vid card web site.

[ 09-07-2004, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

• 4 weeks later...

Now for some more info on the revision cloud lockup. Today I had the same thing occur as described above and it happened when I Copy/Paste between layers of different scales. Unlike text, which is usually where the tool is used, the cloud resizes according to layer scale and this is where the crash occurs. I had a cloud on a 1/8" scale drawing and when I pasted the notations onto a full scale layer, that was all she wrote, went right into a lock-up/ crash mode. Why would you have this tool not hold scale when the items inside do???

This is not a video card problem.

Still plugging away.........

Tom in PA

Well, I sent the files in as Katie requested and I was able to duplicate the problem with new files that I sent. No user error. No video card problem.

A BUG, plain and simple. If I can duplicate the problem then NNA should be able to do so also and then alert all of us users of the results. I can't tell you how many files I have screwed up using the Revision Cloud Tool. I have since just quit using the tool, it's not worth all the time to back and re-do files when it crashes.

Does anyone else use this tool??

Tom in PA

I think the problem is because of the layer scale differences.

If you copy the revision cloud to a layer that has the same layer scale as the existing cloud, the cloud looks fine.

You are working between a 1:16 and a 1:72 layer scale difference. The settings set forth for the revision cloud- such as the billow factor and what not are too small for the large 1:72 layer scale.

The software should take the layer scale into account just as it does with text, symbols etc. The old revision cloud had no 'billow factor' so it worked just fine. This is purely a flaw as I see it and if the tools cannot be used from layer to layer regardless of scale they should be eliminated or the fault corrected. Why was it changed from the old versions?? I see no apparent advantage .

Tom in PA