Texture cannot not apply on extruded objects

Rachel.w

Question

Hi,

I have some difficulties in applying textures on extruded objects. When I select texture from the resources browser, the texture fail to show on the extruded object even if I right click "Apply". The texture only shows when I double click the object and go into the "Extrude" mode. Please see the attached screenshots of my problem. All my objects are filled in solid and the object info browser indicates the texture that I have selected, but despite this it still does not appear.  I will be grateful if anyone can give me some advice to solve this. 

Thank you very much! 

8 answers to this question

Perhaps you are not looking at the object in a rendered mode (OpenGL or Renderworks)?  Otherwise, the most common reason for this problem is that the object does not have a solid fill.  Although you seem to be aware of this, double check - select the object and look at the attributes palette, first item.

Also, something seems odd about what you say about seeing the texture when you edit the extrusion 2d object.  Textures cannot be applied to a 2d object and would not show up.  Are you sure you are clear about the difference between a texture, fill and hatch?

Edited by P Retondo

Hello,

Can anyone help me work out how to apply texture to a 3D symbol, on the Object Info palette it says 'Cannot apply texture to this object'. It was originally a Sketchup file now imported into Vectorworks, could this have something to do with it? Can anyone help me work out how to render an object that has the message above?

Hi @Chan   Welcome to the forum!

Lots to know, but short answer first, then some discussion and how to. 

Possible causes for no texture in your imported 3d symbol:

-  Normally a texture cannot be assigned to a symbol instance on a drawing. Texture must be applied to the objects contained in the symbol. 

-  You are rendering in OpenGL but the Use Textures setting is not enabled.

-  Objects contained in the symbol do not have texture assigned.  

-  Objects contained in the symbol do not have color fill, and therefore cannot accept any texture.

-  Objects in the symbol are not assigned to classes with textures. Or the class “Use at Creation” option is not enabled. (This one probably does not apply to your question)

Some detail:

Attributes, such as line qualities, color fills and textures, of an object identified on the drawing as a symbol are applied and controlled by editing the symbol definition. 

First, some things to know:

A. Only 3d objects can accept textures. 2d objects can accept image fills, patterns, hatches, color fills, gradients, but not textures. 

B. 3d objects need color fill to accept texture.

C.  Renderworks renders should always show textures where they are present. OpenGL has a setting to show textures or not. Find the OGL setting options in View menu>Rendering>OpenGL Options, and some other places depending on your version and setup. 

D.  Symbols can be composed of 2d or 3d objects or both.

—-An object identified as a 2d symbol is composed of only 2d screen plane objects.

—-A 3d symbol can contain  2d layer plane objects, 3d objects, or both.

—-A hybrid  or 2d/3d symbol is a 3d symbol which also contains screen plane objects. The screen plane objects are visible only in Top Plan View, but the 3d components are not visible in Top/Plan. 

E.  Editing a symbol definition will alter every existing instance of the symbol on the drawing. 

Two ways to edit a symbol definition:

1. Dbl click the symbol on the drawing (this is an “Instance” of the symbol definition) to access the edit space.

2. Open the Resource Manager, find the symbol icon/name, right click and choose Edit 2d or Edit 3d Components to access the edit space. 

Either way, an orange Edit border surrounds the drawing window to indicate the edit space.  The component objects within the symbol are available to select and edit.  Select any objects requiring texture, verify that they have color fill, then apply texture via the OIP Render tab. Make a test render with OpenGL or Fast Renderworks.  When satisfied, click the Exit button in upper right or press Return/Enter.  Now render the drawing. Textures should show. 

HTH. Post again if none of this makes your renders texturized. 

-B

• Like 2

Thank you so much Benson!

What you've shared has worked, I tried this method: 2. Open the Resource Manager, find the symbol icon/name, right click and choose Edit 2d or Edit 3d Components to access the edit space. 

Amazing to receive your support. 

Warm regards,

Chan

• Like 2