"one or more operations were aborted due to lack of memory"

Marsh

Question

Hello.  I am getting the following error message when I try to open my latest file and all backup files for a very important file:

"one or more operations were aborted due to lack of memory"

I have 10gb of free system memory on my Mac OSX 10.8.5 according to the Activity Monitor and am running Vectorworks 2011.  Please help.  In the past files have started crashing and not opening at all after a warning like this and this is a highly critical file that I cannot lose.

7 answers to this question

Thank you, Robert.  I am using Vectorworks 2011, not 2015.  Are you saying I must upgrade to Vectorworks 2015 in order to finish the project I have until now successfully run 2011 in.  I am a day away from filing the project for permit.

Thanks,

MM

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I can't answer that question, as I know very little about your specifics. You are running a 7-year-old application on a 5+ year-old OS. As projects grow in maturity, size, and complexity, sometimes you hit the wall. We don't like to see our users hit the wall. This is why we did a major re-engineering effort back in 2013 and 2014 to move Vectorworks to a 64-bit platform. Is there any way you can break the project into multiple independent files? This may be the only way for the short term. (I say "independent" because Vectorworks file referencing may not reduce file size nor memory footprint.)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Move the file to your local desktop, away from any cloud storage. Restart the machine entirely after doing so, then launch Vectorworks without using a VWX file and then attempt to open the file in question from the desktop. If that error still appears, please send me your file or a link to it and I can take a closer look.

If you end up needing to send me the file, please include this as well: