Mark Text Fixed (Unless Otherwise Requested)

Tom Klaber

Question

The text in the section marker tool and the mark itself are right now treated as two sperate movable entities which drive me nuts.  To adjust the marker - you have to move the text first (because it is on top) - then select the line - select the control point and then snap that to the moved text.  Essentially increasing the amount of work by 100% to modify section marker. 

Whoever wants the text not in the marker?  I tried to think of a time or instance where I would want the 3/A-201 text in some other place other than inside the mark.  The only thing I could think of if it was too big to fit.  

So - if this is really a feature that people need - maybe have a "Fixed Text" check both that will make the text and the mark move together.  

5 answers to this question

On 2018-04-13 at 8:26 AM, Tom Klaber said:

The text in the section marker tool and the mark itself are right now treated as two sperate movable entities which drive me nuts.  To adjust the marker - you have to move the text first (because it is on top) - then select the line - select the control point and then snap that to the moved text.  Essentially increasing the amount of work by 100% to modify section marker. 

I agree completely. It should be fixed but there is a workaround in the mean time - use the Reshape tool instead of the Selection tool when editing section lines.

Kevin

• Like 1
On 4/16/2018 at 3:10 PM, Kevin McAllister said:

I agree completely. It should be fixed but there is a workaround in the mean time - use the Reshape tool instead of the Selection tool when editing section lines.

Kevin

I tried this, it did not work - just switched the order of operations.  When I used the reshape tool it moved to marker circle - but left the text behind - forcing me to click out of the reshape and select the marker, then select the text keypoint, and move it back into place. 

I would still love an explanation on why it was thought that these two things should be controlled separately.  I am not even sure it is laziness - since it actually seems that VW when out of its way to create this as a functionality...

1 hour ago, Tom Klaber said:

I tried this, it did not work - just switched the order of operations.  When I used the reshape tool it moved to marker circle - but left the text behind - forcing me to click out of the reshape and select the marker, then select the text keypoint, and move it back into place.

Interesting. That's not what happens here when I test it in a clean file. The text always moves in relationship to the marker, even if I've offset it. Is your section line fairly complex?

1 hour ago, Tom Klaber said:

I would still love an explanation on why it was thought that these two things should be controlled separately.  I am not even sure it is laziness - since it actually seems that VW when out of its way to create this as a functionality...

It definitely hasn't always been this way. This problem only cropped up in the last few versions.

Kevin