New PC Laptop Xeon or I7 also is 500g SSD enough

Hi Folks,

Need to get a new laptop as a Travel Computer / Desktop Replacement when away from my office.

Currently my desktop is an I7-4770 @3.4ghz 16g ram , NVIDIA Geforce GTX 645

will have to update this desktop as well but hoping to get a couple of more years out of it. Do a fair amount of rendering

Looking at new laptops and lots of options.

Anyone have any recommendations on processor.

Is a xeon worth it ($$$) and do you think a Laptop with one 500g SSD is adequate..

I have looked at the Knowledge base and the tested Machines on the Vectorworks site.

Any laptop recommendations from users would  be helpful.

Need to pull the trigger soon.

Thanks,

-Paul

This seems like a good time to upgrade - lots of fun stuff about to on the market.  I am getting a new machine for the office - so I have been researching.

The two I am trying to decide between are the:

Gigabyte AERO 15x

MSI GS65 Thin

Others to consider:

Dell XPS 15 (Underpowered)

ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 (2018)

ASUS Zenbook Pro (Underpowered)

HP Pavillion G (Will be released at the end of the month)

Those are all thin machines - which is my preference.  They are using the newest Intel 6 core i Series.  I never found value on the Xeon side.   

500GB is really pushing it.  You will end up using 150GB  of that just for programs, libraries, and OS.   I moved the whole server to the cloud and I am using file sync for most of it - but still need local copies of all active projects.  I tried to be ruthless - and I still have 650GB of local storage filled.   You could get a fast external to compliment, but a certain point there is little money savings in doing so - and inevitably once a week the data paths will break - which is not a big deal - but annoying.  I would invest in 1GB - or if offered a 500SD OS drive and 1 or 2TB secondary data drive.  

I have never used a an MSI or gigbyte laptop.  and it concerns me.

I once owed a sony laptop that was a lemon.   thinking lenovo  (almost a pun)  possible alieneware/ DELL   seen some issues with HP s at work and home.  HP seem to think there smarter than intel and put bloat on the system.

Convince me?

500GB would be ok for just the system drive holding your OS and programs, as I am using approx. 270 GB for OS and programs. You should keep in mind that part of the disk is used for spare sectors in case some flash cells get corrupted/damaged, usually this is approx. 10% of the disk size so that would reduce effective storage space to a little under 450 MB.

If you also want to put your data on the drive then a 1 TB drive should be the minimum size you need if there can be only one drive installed. Most laptops now have a SSD for OS and an additional HD for storage, but you may want to replace the latter with an equivalent SSD in a laptop.

@xi makes great laptops.  They aren't pretty, they are mobile desktops.  

Xeons are not worth the money in my opinion.  More RAM, a good i7 chip, and a discrete graphics card are what really helps.  These days I would probably even go higher end on the graphics card than the processor.  

My laptop has a full size keyboard as well, very helpful.  

I recently made a similar jump. The Xeon isn't doing much but didn't cost much in my case.

The HD decisions were cost driven. I wanted the fastest OS drive and figured a large slow data drive would be fine. The configuration costs were strange, so I got a nice 500gb SSD and plan on buying a second one when it fills. HD costs drop quickly and there will be more options in the after market so waiting should pay off.

• 2 months later...

I just bought a CUK (Computer Upgrade King) house brand laptop as an emergency backup, and I have to say I am quite happy.  1070 8 gb GPU, i17 8th gen processor, 32gb ram - 1800 bucks.

Its thin, light, and inconspicuous. Luckly there is no branding on it at all (especially with a name like CUK).  At 600-800 dollars less then similarly spec machines, it feels like a good deal.  At that price we can afford to upgrade almost a full year sooner.

• Like 1