WORKSHEET CREATION

Matt

Make sure that the database header has =(Door.Width) and =(Door.Height) and NOT ='Door'.'DoorWidth' and 'Door'.'DoorHeight'.

Those last two are read only.  The first two are editable.

But YES.  YES.  YES.  You can edit (almost) ALL parameters of (almost) ALL parametric objects in a worksheet.

It's a quality of Vectorworks life improvement in your workflow.

2 hours ago, michaelk said:

Make sure that the database header has =(Door.Width) and =(Door.Height) and NOT ='Door'.'DoorWidth' and 'Door'.'DoorHeight'.

Those last two are read only.  The first two are editable.

Michael, that's not it. The headers are written correctly. I'm getting this dialogue box when I try to change the value in a cell. What's this "new record field" business about?

375384067_ScreenShot2018-10-19at12_06_35AM.thumb.png.e91d05755d7ba62a8322b60fd3ff1043.png

Thanks very much "The Pat" and "The Michael" (yes, you too!) for all the great info in this thread - one day I'll hopefully understand and be able to implement it..

As others are doing I'd like to slip in a question or 2 regarding window and door schedules - is there ANY way to auto-label or if not,  an easy way to label rather than thru the OIP (ug)  or worksheet for each individual window/door? (or am I just being lazy?)

editing right on the worksheet:  easy to just plug in numbers in order, but then it would be a mess on the plan - no easy read or "pattern".

I try to have window labels numbering upwards in a clockwise direction on the floor plan, for example...maybe that's OCD and crazy?

doors, exterior - same,  but interior doors, more random but try to keep a pattern of some kind.

one more question - can I get both the ID label AND window size to show on the plan?

for custom homes, the builders find that much easier.

thanks 🙂 

I don't want to speak for "The Pat" 🙂  but…

As for numbering doors and windows:  Yes.  I do it all the time.  It's a bit of a hack, but it works great for me.  If you're in Phoenix early next month you'll probably get a chance to see it in action.  ( And meet "The Pat" in person!)

I should write it up for this thread.  Next long plane trip!

You signature says you're on 2017.  If that's still true then, no, you can't add other information to the label.

I haven't had a chance yet to dig into the new labeling tool in 2019, but I suspect that it is possible.

• Like 1

@Pat Stanford,

I have another idea maybe you can shed some light on regarding the use of IF/THEN/ELSE formulas in database headers...

Issue: sometimes we use a cased opening to schedule complex door types that aren't available in the pre-made options. The particulars of the door are placed within the frame, maybe using multiple (non scheduled) door plugins to create some kind of custom configuration. This works fine, except for the one hiccup being that the door operation is not accurate in the schedule. At this point, I'll usually give in, and just past an opaque piece of text over that cell to say something like, "See Door Elev."

Question: Is it possible to get this cell to read "See Door Elev." using the IF/THEN/ELSE strategy? Perhaps it could be triggered by the operation simply being a "cased opening", or even better, by certain text appearing in one of the User Fields? For example if User Field 10 has "custom door" entered into it, this could trigger the "Else" option in the Door.Operation header formula.

I'd thinking about giving this a shot, but was hoping you could tell me ahead of time if you would expect this to work.

Thanks!

Matt

1 hour ago, niagara designer said:

one more question - once the schedule is created is there a command that tells it to add the label to the plan or do I have to do that thru the OIP for each individual window/door? thanks

In general, if it can be controlled in the OIP, it can be controlled in a worksheet.  So, yes, you can make a worksheet that includes the On Schedule field and switch any door or window On Schedule field from TRUE to FALSE.

See you in Phoenix!

• Like 1

Michael is correct that this is a good use of an IF statement.

Something like   =IF('Door'.'Config'<>'Cased Opening', 'Door'.'Config', 'See Door Elevation')

Have you considered using or do you use the Use Symbol Geometry option for these custom doors? That way it is only a Door in Wall and moves like everything thing else.  You may still need the IF to get the schedule to display as you want.

On 10/19/2018 at 12:18 AM, mgries said:

Michael, that's not it. The headers are written correctly. I'm getting this dialogue box when I try to change the value in a cell. What's this "new record field" business about?

375384067_ScreenShot2018-10-19at12_06_35AM.thumb.png.e91d05755d7ba62a8322b60fd3ff1043.png

Did you get this figured out?  I get that message when I try to edit a dimension using door.doorheight in the header. If I use door.height in the header it is editable and does change the door on the drawing.

I finally got it to work! I think the fact that it was the beginning of a new week, and the coffee was flowing fresh in the veins.

But it ONLY works for me written the following way:

=('Door'.'Width')

None of these work (the first one is what everyone agrees should work):

=(Door.Width)

=('Door'.'DoorWidth')

=(Door.DoorWidth)

On 10/20/2018 at 11:43 AM, Pat Stanford said:

Something like   =IF('Door'.'Config'<>'Cased Opening', 'Door'.'Config', 'See Door Elevation')

thanks for this Pat!

I'll give this a try and let you know how it works out!

And yes, I've used symbol geometry in the past for certain custom doors.

Cheers

Matt

On 10/20/2018 at 11:43 AM, Pat Stanford said:

=IF('Door'.'Config'<>'Cased Opening', 'Door'.'Config', 'See Door Elevation')

works like a charm!

I tried to do the other option, which represents a more universal approach to overwriting values for custom doors:

=IF('Door'.'UserFld10’<>'Custom', 'Door'.'Config', 'See Door Elevation')

The goal is to simply write the word "Custom" into a designated user field, and then use this bit of data to overwrite any of the record fields. It's not working however. Do you know what I'm doing wrong here?

thanks,

Matt

On 10/23/2018 at 11:32 AM, mgries said:

@Pat Stanford,

Any idea why this modification to your formula doesn't work?

The goal is to simply write the word "Custom" into a designated user field, and then use this bit of data to overwrite any of the record fields. It's not working however. Do you know what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,
Matt

I believe this is a crazy week for Pat (as opposed to his usual tranquil weeks) so I'll take a crack at it.

You ARE doing it right.  I think there is something going on in the pre-formatted door schedule that is causing this to fail.  I don't have time at the moment to track it down, but if you build a worksheet database the old fashioned way, your formula works.

I'll try to find time to figure out what's different about the pre-formatted schedule.  Until then try using just a plain database to see if it works for you.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:32 AM,  mgries said: 

@Pat Stanford,

Any idea why this modification to your formula doesn't work?

My guess is that you need parentheses around the criteria.  Try:

=IF(('Door'.'UserFld10’<>'Custom'), 'Door'.'Config', 'See Door Elevation')

If that does not work try adding a second set of parentheses. I have found that the interpereter seems to have trouble if you don't get the parens correct, but I have not found a definitive source for how it works or what the parens should be.

It is probably not properly parsing the <> and so not getting a single True/False value in the criteria part of the IF statement.

Not tested as I don't have VW open right now.

• 1 year later...

Uhmmm, Hello this may be a really stupid question but…

In the pre-formatted window schedule what information are the head, jamb and sill detail columns supposed have? dimensions?image? height? thickness????? 

Thanks for being gentle with your replies,

m

• 2 weeks later...

@Pat Stanford

Hi so i've tried making a similar worksheet pulling details from the 4 Cable type record formats.

The goal is to list all cables in Loom (or with a Loom ID)

This is the criteria i used.

28679612_Screenshot2020-05-02at12_32_08.thumb.png.312a1fec178b84a9929cdcb44f66bd47.png

However i get 0 results. i Should get 6

I also tried it with just two types of record Multicable and Data Cable as bellow and go no records.  I should get 2 results in my test file.

471907869_Screenshot2020-05-02at14_27_30.thumb.png.446d817cecc85a28aca9d49f435eeba3.png

If i run just the record type gets i do get a table that has all the cables in.  And if i run each record and field value in seperate sets, this also gives the correct data.

Any suggestions as to where i'm going wrong.

@Pat Stanford After posting i had a did around and found the issue, the database script was using & in the recall of the field records matches by default.  I manually edited the script for that query and replaced & with |.  This seems to have fixed it.  

Not sure why in your example it used or and when i started to try the technique it took it as and.  But got it working, and found a few things on the way.

m

My guess is that VW is seeing each different Record Format as a different "type" of criteria.

Normally VW does an OR on the same type of criteria (ie Layer 1 OR Layer 2) and an AND on different Type of Criteria (Layer 1 AND Class A).

If VW is seeing different record formats at different types that would explain why the AND and why you had to manually adjust the formula to OR.

Glad you got it working.