Import Titleblock Record Format

Michael Schroeder

Question

7 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Michael Schroeder - I need more information how to reproduce your issue. How do you import the TB? Copy paste from other file or import from resource manager? What do you mean by "the New record format for it does not move with it"? Do you mean that the data in these records is not getting changed?

@Wesley Burrows - Could you test your issue in Service Pack 3 and let me know if you are still reproducing it?

21 hours ago, Michael Schroeder said:

the New record format for it does not move with it.

Do you mean you can't find the Record Format in the Resource Manager? The 2018 tool works differently than previous versions, and no longer relies on a separate Record Format. Instead, all of the records are sort of 'built-in' to the tool itself, under the Project and Sheet tabs of the Title Block Border Settings dialogue box. You can create and modify records directly there.

If that's where you're looking but it doesn't let you edit the fields, click the "Convert to Unstyled" button at the top and see if that let's you do you want.

2 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Do you mean you can't find the Record Format in the Resource Manager? The 2018 tool works differently than previous versions, and no longer relies on a separate Record Format. Instead, all of the records are sort of 'built-in' to the tool itself, under the Project and Sheet tabs of the Title Block Border Settings dialogue box. You can create and modify records directly there.

If that's where you're looking but it doesn't let you edit the fields, click the "Convert to Unstyled" button at the top and see if that let's you do you want.

My understanding (and experience) was,   say I have a template file where I've made changes to my master title block,  I've added some fields for example.  re-ordered them etc.  If I were to copy that newly updated title block to a file that had an older version of the title block without those fields,    and paste it into the document with the older version, the pasted title block's design will update,  however, the added/updated fields from the master title block will not carry into the this document.   It will retain the old title block's fields.       When you paste "Master Title Block" into the document needing updating, there is no records merge/replace dialog prompt, and the error occurs if you do the cut and paste method,  OR import the "Master Title Block"  style into the drawing that needs to be updated via the resource manager.     The net result is the same.

Edited by Wesley Burrows
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
13 hours ago, Wesley Burrows said:

My understanding (and experience) was,   say I have a template file where I've made changes to my master title block,  I've added some fields for example.  re-ordered them etc.  If I were to copy that newly updated title block to a file that had an older version of the title block without those fields,    and paste it into the document with the older version, the pasted title block's design will update,  however, the added/updated fields from the master title block will not carry into the this document.   It will retain the old title block's fields.       When you paste "Master Title Block" into the document needing updating, there is no records merge/replace dialog prompt, and the error occurs if you do the cut and paste method,  OR import the "Master Title Block"  style into the drawing that needs to be updated via the resource manager.     The net result is the same.

Could you send me the file with the TB with new fields and the file where you are importing it and nothing happens?