Wall Peak Problem Help

psm

Question

Hi Help,

Wall Peak Problem that I cant Figure out.

Created walls from polygon object 

The tried to Reshape wal and Add a Peak

I seam to get an unexpected Result on the lower corners of the peak

with a miter?  How do I resolve this?

Also really messes with Create roof.

Thanks,

Wall Peak Capture.PNG

11 answers to this question

The easiest way to work around this (which occurs due to the mitered wall join at corners) is to create a Temporary Shape and us it as the "Fit To" object in the Fit Walls to Objects command. The shape must be Solid and must completely cover the portion of the wall you wish to reshape. P

5ac90c2f4fdda_ScreenShot2018-04-07at11_18_43AM.thumb.png.cd24fc17a110a4152870b0f05a1b784e.png

This situation is just unavoidable with the way VW works right now.  Peter's first suggestion is actually pretty close to how you would conceptualize the walls if you imagine the rafters having a seat cut on top of wall plates, but normally a framer would not do that on the gable walls, their sloping top plates would actually be lower at the outside corner.

David is suggesting that if you fit walls at the interior edge, the side walls would be higher than the gable walls at the corner instead of lower, but there will still be an anomaly at the miter.

But since you don't have fit walls to objects, none of that would be of any use to you.  However, you could join the corners using "capped join" mode, and then you won't have a miter.  But there will be an extra vertical line at the corner on the exterior, unless you are viewing in OpenGL or Renderworks and your textures are properly assigned and aligned.

Edited by P Retondo
3 hours ago, markdd said:

Actually it is. You will need to add it to your workspace though through the Workspace Editor.

Thanks ! Markdd!  your are correct I found a workaround for the exterior wall but the interior were going to be tricky.

I added to the work space and Presto.

thanks to you and all who chimed in.