Jim Smith

Exporting to SVG files

A client is interested in obtaining one of these:  https://shapertools.com and asked if we can provide native files. I note that the company seems to be using SVG files, (that I don't think VW can export to, but they mention using DXF files with Pen types as the way to communicate the cutting info. Does anyone have any experience finding a path to exporting to SVG? Is there any talk/plans that VW will be able to export to SVG in the future?

• Like 1

Hi Jim!

Export to SVG is actually one of my current personal research topics. Currently we don't support a direct workflow for exporting to SVG, however it's possible to export to PDF and open the PDF in a vector editing software to get some SVG elements out of it. (Save the PDF as SVG)

To do this, you cannot rasterize the PDF on export from Vectorworks.

Also, this is not foolproof. Sometimes it works well, other times it will fail, but it's the best workaround I'm aware of.

I'm working on a Marionette script that can export to SVG, but it's in a primitive stage right now where it exports things upside down, and I cannot cut holes out of objects. If I ever get that working better, I'd be more than happy to share.

Marissa

Thanks Marissa, that's great to know.

I think when the client gets the router, (I REALLY want to see this in action!) I'll stick to exporting the few tests as DXF files with pen colours. 

Jim,

I own and use the Shaper Origin. It is a very interesting tool.

The file convention path VW to Shaper Origin for me is 

1. Make sure the VW file will be accepted: Closed shapes only, convert groups of lines to polygons (Compose)

2. Export DXF.

3. Load Autodask Fusion360 (free), import DXF file into F360, extrude.

4. Use Shaper Origin export tool in F360 to create the SVG file.

5. Upload the SVG file to the cloud (Shaper Hub) into my project folder.

The file appears immediately in the machine and can be placed and cut.

This may seem long and painful but it is quite fast actually.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2018 at 7:45 PM, Jim Smith said:

A client is interested in obtaining one of these:  https://shapertools.com and asked if we can provide native files. I note that the company seems to be using SVG files, (that I don't think VW can export to, but they mention using DXF files with Pen types as the way to communicate the cutting info. Does anyone have any experience finding a path to exporting to SVG? Is there any talk/plans that VW will be able to export to SVG in the future?

SVG export would be very useful.

I use it for exporting print and cut scale models using a Silver Bullet cutter.  The files include both high res images and vector curves for cutting.

My method for generating SVG files is to export as PDF,  open it in Affinity Designer, and then export as SVG which is opened in the cutter driver. Affinity Designer is highly recommended as an Adobe Illustrator alternative. Very competitive pricing and very capable. 

376927059_Papermodel.thumb.jpg.e5b9b2fb8092787b467bd5937bbc3fb6.jpg

Edited by Claes Lundstrom
  • Like 2