Exporting to SVG files

A client is interested in obtaining one of these:  https://shapertools.com and asked if we can provide native files. I note that the company seems to be using SVG files, (that I don't think VW can export to, but they mention using DXF files with Pen types as the way to communicate the cutting info. Does anyone have any experience finding a path to exporting to SVG? Is there any talk/plans that VW will be able to export to SVG in the future?

• Like 1
  • Marionette Maven

Hi Jim!

Export to SVG is actually one of my current personal research topics. Currently we don't support a direct workflow for exporting to SVG, however it's possible to export to PDF and open the PDF in a vector editing software to get some SVG elements out of it. (Save the PDF as SVG)

To do this, you cannot rasterize the PDF on export from Vectorworks.

Also, this is not foolproof. Sometimes it works well, other times it will fail, but it's the best workaround I'm aware of.

I'm working on a Marionette script that can export to SVG, but it's in a primitive stage right now where it exports things upside down, and I cannot cut holes out of objects. If I ever get that working better, I'd be more than happy to share.

Marissa

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Jim,

I own and use the Shaper Origin. It is a very interesting tool.

The file convention path VW to Shaper Origin for me is 

1. Make sure the VW file will be accepted: Closed shapes only, convert groups of lines to polygons (Compose)

2. Export DXF.

3. Load Autodask Fusion360 (free), import DXF file into F360, extrude.

4. Use Shaper Origin export tool in F360 to create the SVG file.

5. Upload the SVG file to the cloud (Shaper Hub) into my project folder.

The file appears immediately in the machine and can be placed and cut.

This may seem long and painful but it is quite fast actually.

• Like 1
On 4/3/2018 at 7:45 PM, Jim Smith said:

A client is interested in obtaining one of these:  https://shapertools.com and asked if we can provide native files. I note that the company seems to be using SVG files, (that I don't think VW can export to, but they mention using DXF files with Pen types as the way to communicate the cutting info. Does anyone have any experience finding a path to exporting to SVG? Is there any talk/plans that VW will be able to export to SVG in the future?

SVG export would be very useful.

I use it for exporting print and cut scale models using a Silver Bullet cutter.  The files include both high res images and vector curves for cutting.

My method for generating SVG files is to export as PDF,  open it in Affinity Designer, and then export as SVG which is opened in the cutter driver. Affinity Designer is highly recommended as an Adobe Illustrator alternative. Very competitive pricing and very capable. 

376927059_Papermodel.thumb.jpg.e5b9b2fb8092787b467bd5937bbc3fb6.jpg

Edited by Claes Lundstrom
  • Like 2
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Vectorworks user folder should be in:

\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Nemetschek\Vectorworks\20xx

By default, both Mac and Windows hide the application data folder. If you use the default user folder, you might want to adjust your system settings to make hidden folders visible. Alternatively, create a new user folder in a more accessible location.

once the user folder is visible, you should be able to see the user’s Plug-Ins folder where to copy the .vsm.

• Like 1

Is it Windows? I am not any kind of Windows expert but 

Start menu/

All Programs/

Vectorworks/ open folder, right click on Vectorworks, select Open File Location. Scroll up to the folder Plugins. Create a new folder with any convenientt name example Export SVG. Place the plugin in that folder. Restart VW.

• Like 2

@Kim Muhmenthaler 

You are just one step away from goal…

Modify your workspace (here all the info https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2020/eng/VW2020_Guide/Start/Customizing_workspaces.htm)

In few words:

Select Tools > Workspaces > Edit Current Workspace

The workspace editor panel appears

Schermata-2020-12-29-alle-09_57_10.thumb.jpg.590ec09753688f10d23e97b2b40c42b6.jpg

Now, on the left column, scroll down and open Import/Export to see the Export to SVG item

On the right column, open the File menu, then Export submenu (where to place the Export to SVG item)

Drag the item on the left column to where you want it to appear the File -> Export menu

Schermata-2020-12-29-alle-09_57_47.thumb.jpg.d661fc6cfa12adfa72f926bdf01f87a9.jpg

Save the workspace (click ok and confirm)

Now your Export to SVG menu command is available.

Paolo

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 1 year later...
On 4/3/2018 at 2:00 PM, Marissa Farrell said:

Hi Jim!

Export to SVG is actually one of my current personal research topics. Currently we don't support a direct workflow for exporting to SVG, however it's possible to export to PDF and open the PDF in a vector editing software to get some SVG elements out of it. (Save the PDF as SVG)

To do this, you cannot rasterize the PDF on export from Vectorworks.

Also, this is not foolproof. Sometimes it works well, other times it will fail, but it's the best workaround I'm aware of.

I'm working on a Marionette script that can export to SVG, but it's in a primitive stage right now where it exports things upside down, and I cannot cut holes out of objects. If I ever get that working better, I'd be more than happy to share.

Marissa

I'm curious were you ever able to solve for this? Something that I could see come in handy.