L' Acoustics Speakers in import issue

marshfeed

Question

Hey guys, I have an issue that I can't seem to come up with a good solution for. I'm not sure if it's a bug or just rookie error. I'm using VW2018 Spotlight and have updated the line array tool to include some new speakers we own. L'acoustics being one manufacturer. The issue is that the L'acoustics record data is in millimeters and imports in feet. So a speaker that is 250mm imports as 250 feet. I can manually go into the perimeters in the Array Detail and Configuration window and change each measurement to millimeters and it drops the speaker in just fine. But I'd have to do that to every speaker every time I create a new line array. And the kicker is, if I click off the Array Detail and Configuration window and click back on it, it converts the 250mm to .82 feet. Anyone have any idea why it's not doing the conversion automatically? 

8 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello marshfeed,

Did you create the updated symbols yourself?  If so, can you send me the file and I will take a look.  I think I know a solution but I would like to check out the file first.  Thanks.

It's actually the L'acoustics speaker file from your website. All I did was download it and drop it in the Speakers folder in the Audio Tools folder. It wouldn't work at first so I had to open it and save. As a work around, I manually did the conversions and saved them to the library in the Array Detail and Configuration window.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Interesting.  Did you try using the library for L'Acoustics that is included in the Resource Manager?  I am just curious if that library also has the issue as that is the same library that is on the VSS website.

Add a new ressource to Speaker ou Array tool :

1- In VWX, go to Preferences/User folders/choose Reveal in finder
Leave the window open and close VWX

2- In the open window, go to 2020/Librairies/Defaults/AudioTools

3- In this window, locate the XML file. If the file does not exist, ignore this step. If it exists, make a safety copy of this file somewhere in your computer, for safety. Once this backup done, delete the file. Leave this window open, we'll come back to it.

4- Go to the application folder (in Applications on Mac, and Program Files on Windows)

5- Go to Libraries/Objects -Ent Audio/

6- In this folder, choose the items you want to add to the Speaker tools (speakers and bumpers only), copy them in the same folder above: climb back to 2020/Librairies/Defaults/AudioTools/Speakers (AND-OR /Bumpers)

7- Open VWX, go to the Resource Manager, click on the wheel and choose "Refresh Libraries".

8- In VWX open a new document. Go to menu File/Documents & Settings/Units and choose Millimeters (necessary one-time step that needs to be done only once in order for VWX to add the imported elements at the right scale in the database)

9- Go to the Speaker Tool, and place a "generic" speaker in the drawing.

10- Select the speaker, then in Object Info palette choose Type, then Import. 
HERE THE STEP OF THE CHOICES: repeat this Import with each speaker you wish to import. They will now appear in the ressources of the tools.
DONE !

Then, for line arrays, a similar operation is to be performed to add the manufacturer's bumpers: 

11- Choose the Array tool. Add a generic bumper. Click Ok. Select the generic bumper, go to  Object Info, then configure Array, and finally here the "import" button is available in the Type of bumpers. Choose the desired bumpers, one by one.

12- Add each bumper one by one, they will now appear in you ressources.

DONE !

Edited by DeJaVu

I have another similar issue. VWX spotlight 2022.

Importing a loudspeaker array into a drawing, I can happily populate the array wit a bump and loudspeakers (either from symbol my library or even as a generic).

In the configure array I see all of the components, either symbol or generic, but when I go back to the drawing there is only the bump in the workspace.

Anyone got any ideas?

On 3/30/2018 at 2:29 PM, JustinVH said:

Interesting.  Did you try using the library for L'Acoustics that is included in the Resource Manager?  I am just curious if that library also has the issue as that is the same library that is on the VSS website.

This problem still exists. Think we're going on a decade now with the LA symbols. The solution used to be switching doc units to mm when configuring the speaker array but that no longer works.