Do away with annual NEW releases

On top of this is the feeling that the 12 month release schedule forces out releases whether they are ready or not. This means that ‘New Feature’ bugs, which should have been fixed before SP0, have to be discovered by End Users and don’t get fixed until a Service Pack months later.

I no longer bother installing a new version until at least SP1 is released.

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Personally I would love to see a versionless or rolling release model. Release time is such a rush here and letting any given feature or set of features mature in a Beta or Labs-style environment before making them available to the general user base has worked well in a lot of other software packages. Oftentimes theres no way to know how long a given feature will need to mature before the initial feedback comes.

As for how payment would work for such a model, I'd think you'd be able to pay a subscription/maintenance fee monthly or yearly and users could choose to "hop off" or stop their renewals at any time and the product just stands still where it was when their account expired. Then if they wanted a new feature or set of features they could resume where they left off, i'd think something similar to how we handle it now where the recent subscribers for 2-3 years back get a decreasing discount depending on how long they had their subscription lapse, with some sort of cut off maximum renewal fee after 3-4 years or so.

I'd also like this model since it would lend itself very well to a rental model which many types of users want and need. Whether it be because they have a tight budget, because they have heavily seasonal workloads, or because they add and remove large segments of staff as needed and require a way to scale their license count up or down along with them.

(Not to mention it would mean I wouldn't have to keep so many things to myself until I'm unleashed on the general public every September. ;) )

• Like 4
6 hours ago, rDesign said:

I assume that this ^^^ won’t happen until the adoption of a single versionless .VWX file format:

I remember Biplab talking about how great the new file format of VWX was because it was extendable so new features add to the format instead of requiring conversion. I though that meant it was basically versionless already. Admittedly that was years ago and no plan survives battle as they say.

Not sure I understand why  we need to re-set up our system each version anyway and why we cen't just expect it to transfer to the next version with minimal effort?

To me it still would be better if there were versions but have the core release dedicated to speed and stability so it could be close to a drop in replacement to current workflow then release features over the year. So testing concentrates on each feature. Break up training and feature integration. Plus well the world is news hungry why drop all that information in one hit and compete against yourself for attention.

I too wish it was a constant rolling release.    Pushing out hotfixes as they are available would be huge!    The constant,  "This has been fixed for Service Pack X",  which loosely translates to "We've fixed the bug,  but you won't see it for 3 months" is silly.     I think that is half of people's frustration.     

• Like 3

Count me as one who would not like to have a different file format every year.  We pay for Service Select to have access to the most up to date and powerful version of the program, with decent tech support.  That would not change if there weren't a yearly "version," I'd be happier with service pack upgrades and perhaps a big housecleaning every three years.

On the other hand, if VW were thinking about going to a subscription whereby I would have zero VW unless I paid for Service Select every year, I'd have to treat that like I do Autodesk, which has gone to that model.  In other words, I would purchase another software tool.

• Like 2

But it is no problem about annual releases available or not.

Could be that subscribers get the features when they are ready during the year

and manual upgraders get it at the end of the cycle

or stay with their version for a few years.

What hinders is the no-features-during-major-releases-agreement.

And the changing file system and PIO incompatibilities between versions that

gives us some extra work.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
22 hours ago, P Retondo said:

On the other hand, if VW were thinking about going to a subscription whereby I would have zero VW unless I paid for Service Select every year,

I'd never support this. I would want it such that if you ever stopped your subscription (once you had purchased the software whether by a lump initial investment for having paid dues for a set period) the software would just stop receiving updates, not stop functioning.

I would only approve of software that stopped when you stopped paying dues for a rental model offered in ADDITION to other purchasing options. I think a perpetual license option should always exist in conjunction with other offerings.

(IMHO even though I'd be prone to bias... Autodesk botched this idea entirely.)

• Like 3