Option key duplication

I regularly use the option key duplication - hold down the key till the plus sign appears then drag to where I want the duplicated option to go.

For some reason - unknown to me, the objects are now duplicating directly on top of the original instead of where I have dragged them to.

Even stranger - I have just been checking if it is every object, and it is only  hatched rectangles that are doing this - text blocks and lines are fine. (I am annotating a viewport)

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong here?  It has always worked for me so I am a bit baffled as to what has changed.

Thanks

Sharon

Edited by SharonP

If you have Option Click in-duplication checked in preferences, then if you press option and then click to select your item then it will be duplicated before it is dragged and also duplicated with the drag. If you un-check that, then it will just be duplicated with the drag. 

Hope that makes sense!

No, that isn't checked in my preferences, but I have worked out what was going on - but not exactly why it was happening.... I'll try to explain in case this makes any sense to anyone.

I was using a hatched rectangle to indicate a beam - in a viewport annotation. 

In the navigation palette, the beams class was turned off. 

In the viewport settings, the beams class was turned on.

When I have turned the beams class on in the navigation palette, the beams now drag duplicate just as I would expect instead of duplicating directly over the original.

So I know what is happening - but wouldn't have a clue why this is what happened.

Out of curiosity, can anyone explain why?