To full scale or not to full scale?

1 hour ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Its all related to the history of VW. Pre-VW2008 there were no sheet layers. Drawings were presented and outputted from the Design Layers so being able to set layer scale was important. A "sheet" might have three layers associated with it - one in a regular drawing scale say 1/2"=1'=0", one for details say 3"=1'-0" and one for the title block at 1:1. To turn that sheet "on" you would use a saved view. If the ability to set layer scale was removed it would break compatibility with most pre-VW2008 files.

I should note that there is one client I work with which still requires I use this workflow. I need to submit files which have 2D-only views laid out on Design Layers in the "old style" so that the shop doesn't have to deal with Viewports. This allows them to easily select any individual object (as opposed to linework being tied to 3D geometry via a viewport). Of course I still build 3D models then use "Convert Copy to Lines" all the time. Although it's not a ideal workflow for me, it's definitely the best thing for that particular company and I'm happy Vectorworks has retained this previous workflow.

• 2 months later...
On 3/30/2018 at 1:03 PM, Andy Broomell said:

I should note that there is one client I work with which still requires I use this workflow. 

I would say this is one of the great things about VW there isn't "ONE WAY" to do things. I had a client who was in manufacturing & imported a lot of ACAD files to fit his stainless steel features into. He needed to not only share shop drawings with his client, but also to export files to his CAM system. As a result his Design Layers were all 1:1 but we were able to produce details at 1:10 and drawings at 1:25 or 1:50 and CAM files liked the 1:1. This simplified the import of ACad drawings. Having the ability to customize the viewport's line weight scale allowed us to produce not bad looking drawings none the less. Not ideal, & generally as Neil suggest, Layer Scale is generally at what our output is on all other projects.