Sheet layers: Edit design layer option - ability to choose which design layer to edit

JMR

Question

Hi,

Maybe there is a way to do this, but: Often SLVP's display several designs layers. Currently, the right-mouse-click option "edit design layer" picks one the design layers, according to some unclear logic. It's impossible or difficult to choose a certain design layer for editing using this method.

Perhaps a selection menu like with "select coincident objects" tool has?

9 answers to this question

The right-click does have this functionality. However, if you double-click the sheet layer viewport, then it will show a pull-down list of specific layers to make active when you want to go to the design layers for editing. The right-click option just repeats what you set up with the double-click option.

Hope that's clear.

Edited by markdd
17 hours ago, markdd said:

However, if you double-click the design layer, then it will show a pull-down list of specific layers to make active when you want to go to the design layers for editing.

Do you mean double click the SLVP?

Note also that you can set what double clicking on a SLVP does. The default goes to the "Edit Viewport" dialogue. In this dialogue at the bottom you can choose what double click option you prefer. I find I use VP annotations a lot so I have set double click to edit annotations.

So for me if I want to edit a specific design layer from a VP I wil right click the viewport and select "Edit" where the "Edit VP" dialogue appears. From there I can select which DL I want to edit.

Edited by Boh
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
21 hours ago, JMR said:

Often SLVP's display several designs layers. Currently, the right-mouse-click option "edit design layer" picks one the design layers, according to some unclear logic. It's impossible or difficult to choose a certain design layer for editing using this method.

If you right-click on a particular object shown in the SLVP, then select “Edit Design Layer” from the contextual menu that appears, the Design Layer that you will be taken directly to is the Design Layer where that object is located. 

• Like 2

^ That does not always seem to be the case, I guess some space objects or slabs confuse the selection.

Still, IMHO it would be easier just to see a direct right-click menu of selectable design layers. Wouldn't remove any of the previous functionality.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
9 hours ago, JMR said:

^ That does not always seem to be the case, I guess some space objects or slabs confuse the selection..

I can imagine that arriving at the right Design Layer could be tricky depending on where the click is targeting, when aiming for a Slab or Space Object, if those objects are underneath other objects that are on different Design Layers. If right-clicking on a SLVP, I do believe the “Edit Design Layer” command will target the DL of the topmost object. So, if targeting the edge of a slab that is coincident with a Wall’s edge, the Wall’s DL would win.

Out of curiosity, what are the objects that are “interfering” with targeting the Slab or Space Object’s DL

11 hours ago, NeilB said:

If you right-click on a particular object shown in the SLVP, then select “Edit Design Layer” from the contextual menu that appears, the Design Layer that you will be taken directly to is the Design Layer where that object is located. 

Didn't know that. Good to learn.