PROJECT SHARING ERROR MESSAGE

bc

Question

We have two people using PS via Google Drive. We are fairly familiar with it and have had some success elsewhere so this might be Google Drive not playing well.

The project was set up with both as admins.  I opened it and did my work and then SACCAR.  The other subsequently opens and makes some changes and SACCAR.

When I open now, after the check out object/layer dialog I get the following message:5ab51c293bf5d_ScreenShot2018-03-21at3_33_49PM.thumb.png.95394ccdb3bc43c3a08ec06df66cc13a.png

When I select no, I can't work on it. When I select yes, I still can't work on it and the file seems to revert to read only.

We have never seen this.  We don't know how to "Reset the Project File".  What does that mean.  Recreate it? I mean, when you dbl-click it thinks you want to work.

So how can I fix this and move on and prevent this from happening?  Neither of us "manually replaced or made copies" of the file. Or is it Google Drive doing that behind our backs?

Any ideas?  Thanks

bc

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

We saw this once as well with a client who was using Google Drive. Once the PS file was fixed, with the surperb help of @Tolu, the Project file was allowed to perform better by being on Dropbox instead (possibly due Dropbox’s LAN sync ability as the users were usually on the same LAN.)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Is the PF in a Folder on Google Drive? Did you share the Folder? You cannot share the PF directly. Google Drive will make a duplicate if 2 or more users work on the file at the same time.

The message is telling you that Vectorworks has detected that the PF was duplicated, renamed, or moved. Essentially, Vectorworks needs the Administrator to decide which of duplicated PFs is the correct version. If the administrator opens the PF (or opens his WF), he will see a similar message with a "Reset" button.

Alternatively, you can save the PF as a new PF using the File -> "Save A Copy As" menu command. In the ensuing save dialog, make sure you change the "File Type" pulldown menu to Vectorworks Project File (.vwxp).

Thanks Tolu,

I believe I was set up as a party with administrator privileges but didn't get the reset button and going over it with the main administrator, he didn't seem to have an issue with the file.

We have killed the Project Sharing on this file for now but will probably resort to your second alternative later.   

I will refer this post to my administrator.

Thanks for the input.

bc