Flat Roof

I need help as a beginner. I couldn't figure out how to create a flat roof.

To create a roof:

- I draw a polyene around the wall

- AEC create roof

- changing the roof slope & eave/gable

Then I change the slope to 0 - says "Roof pitch is not valid"

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 11.01.42 AM.png

Many ways to do this. And no roof is actually totally flat. 1) try giving slope a small value (1/4" per foot, eg); 2) Use a Roof Face instead of a Roof; 3) If you really want it totally flat, try using a Floor Object; 4) You can use a simple extrude (but a Floor is better, with more control over textures and graphics).

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...
On 3/20/2018 at 8:59 AM, Matt Panzer said:

Slab objects are also good for creating flat roofs. The Slab Drainage feature allows drains to be placed and will create low pitched slopes to them:

Hi is it possible to output a tapered insulation plan to give to a vendor from the data computed and drawn by this tool?  

Ok I copied the roof and deleted everything but the insulation and now I can manually trim the solid in 4x8 sections.  Is there an automated way to do this?  

Thanks 

Edited by tdmaine
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
19 hours ago, tdmaine said:

Hi is it possible to output a tapered insulation plan to give to a vendor from the data computed and drawn by this tool?  

Ok I copied the roof and deleted everything but the insulation and now I can manually trim the solid in 4x8 sections.  Is there an automated way to do this?  

Thanks 

There's no built in way to do this in Vectorworks but it does sound like something that might be possible via scripts or Marionette.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

There's no built in way to do this in Vectorworks but it does sound like something that might be possible via scripts or Marionette.

Thanks!   Also there is no way to add varying slopes.  If you google "roof crickets". you can see the function. Basically pitched flat roofs often have pitched smaller pie shaped elements at much higher grades to direct the water. I realize it's not the most important update but it would add functionality and realism . 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, tdmaine said:

Thanks!   Also there is no way to add varying slopes.  If you google "roof crickets". you can see the function. Basically pitched flat roofs often have pitched smaller pie shaped elements at much higher grades to direct the water. I realize it's not the most important update but it would add functionality and realism . 

I absolutely agree that we need additional control for things like crickets.  I do have a request entered for this (VE-96379),  I'll add a link to your comment.

Thanks!

• Like 1