nVidia Graphics Card Settings (PC) ???

Hello all

Is there a 'definitive' recommended settings for nVidia GeForce Graphics Cards?

I'm back to the PC and have not found any good answer.

I"m having a decent amount of performance issues that I don't believe I should be having; as my new PC is epically superior to my 2012 MBP - yet my performance has not significantly improved; and in many cases has regressed.

Help please!

Ethan

nVidia Settings.png

PhysX.png

On of the VW techies would have to answer this to be sure, but I am not aware that VW supports PhysX.  Does VW become faster if you disable PhysX in case it just consumes GPU resources without benefits for VW?

Then there is the issue of VW2018 having speed problems. I've mentioned in other threads that VW2016 is considerably more response and usually renders much faster than VW2018. Some of the issues are caused by the new VGM and the new rendering system requiring more detail to render settings and material/texture properties etc. but there are some speed issues that should get fixed with SP3.

And.... then there are the CPU security fixes that affect almost all Intel and AMD CPU's which in some cases can reduce performance in data throughput with some 50% also attributing to slowness etc. Intel has apparently requested not to implement some of the fixes until they created a better patch, so that is outside Vectorworks' control but this part does not seem to be the major cause for VW issues if only VW or only a few applications are affected.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
39 minutes ago, Ethan R. said:

I'd like to see an 'official' version for 2018.

It seems this should be something updated since 2014?

Looking over these, they should still be solid selections for performance. 2014 is referenced mainly because it's the first version we started leaning heavily on the graphics card. Most of the settings in the nvidia panel for instance don't affect 2013 and older at all.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Looking over these, they should still be solid selections for performance. 2014 is referenced mainly because it's the first version we started leaning heavily on the graphics card. Most of the settings in the nvidia panel for instance don't affect 2013 and older at all.

Just changed the settings as per referenced knowledgebase article, but for me it made no discernible difference in the areas where I am experiencing lag etc., so I'll patiently wait for SP3 to show up.

Would it be correct to assume that the lag etc. that SP3 is supposed to solve is not affected by the settings as mentioned in the knowledgebase because of the cause being something else? This in case people start asking why changing these settings doesn't improve their system's VW performance.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Just now, Art V said:

Would it be correct to assume that the lag etc. that SP3 is supposed to solve is not affected by the settings as mentioned in the knowledgebase because of the cause being something else?

Absolutely. Sp3 has a number of fixes for different slowness/lag issues that wouldn't be helped by altering system settings. I don't know if it will address all of the current causes, but the fix list seems to include most of the ones I'm aware of us having been able to replicate.

• Like 1