Getting worksheets to report volume by class on a layer by layer basis

Hi all

Is there anyone who can help me with some work sheet questions? 

I have created a worksheet that will report the linear metres of timber and number of sheets of ply wood in a model using volume by class:

=VOLUME_LEGACY(((C='Materials- Timber- Dar- 20x68')))

However there are a few flaws with this approach and I was wondering if there are any worksheet commands that could be used to help quantify materials on different layers in complex drawing?

Problem 1

This method will report the total amount on all layers, which is useful for a total costing, but no use for quantifying an individual multi material component within the lager model. Consequently I also need it to be applied to individual layers, preferably  by being able to drop the work sheet onto a given layer and having it report the volume by class for that layer only.

Problem 2

I appear to be using a Legacy command, does anyone know what the correct command would be for 2017? =volume does not return results.

If it helps I can attach a sample drawing with a typical layer/class structure that I am hoping to run the worksheet in.

The end goal is to have a worksheet that output a quantity and attach a cost to the items modelled whilst I am drawing them.

Any help here would be appreciated

Problem 1

You need to add a criterion for that layer.  It's possible (I'm pretty sure :)) to take the name of the layer from a cell and concatenate it into the criteria for a worksheet.  Write back if that level of fussiness is interesting to you.  

Problem 2

=VOLUME works for me.  I've also used =CRITERIAVOLUME successfully.

I'll attach a file that I shows a method I usually use.  Every type of stock has a class.  I have a bunch of blue symbols set up to insert stock and then I just resize and don't have to worry about assigning classes.

The math in the volume calls in the database header rows is mostly about dealing with imperial units.  But in this example there is also a 10% waste built in.

Quick Material Take Off v2017.vwx