Replicate Dimension Tool

Is it possible to replicate the functionality of the dimension tool with a Python Script.

I need to add a dimension in pixels dependent on a symbol. I would like the ability to add a selection of panel type that would contain the numbers to calculate the pixels. I have this portion of the code working.

I understand how to use the linear plugin to get the dimensions and I have that working, I can draw the lines and arrows and place the final text. What I am having problems with is figuring out how to get the correct offset for placing the text, also it would be cool if I could replicate the ghosting that shows what it will look like prior to clicking where the text goes.

It would extra cool, if I could select the a symbol that it collects the pixel data from to perform the math, and while I know how to get the data, I'm not sure how I can do the selection of the symbol within a linear python script.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Martin

I discovered that trick, what I wasn't able to get it working with python code. I got as far as getting dim in the correct place, however I was unable to figure out how to set the override from python.

I manually drew the lines and the text, and I have it working, the only thing I can't seem to figure out is when creating a linear plug-in, how can I determine starting and ending XY of the line. I know I get the length, and that is useful. If I could get the XY then I should be able to determine what side of the line to place the dimension text.

Currently I am using a control that ask if it is top/bottom/left/right. 

It works, maybe not as elegant as I would like...

Thanks

Martin

From the Function Reference:

VS:SetDimNote

Procedure SetDimNote sets the note text of the referenced dimension to the specified value.

PROCEDURE SetDimNote( h  :HANDLE; note  :STRING);

def vs.SetDimNote(h, note): return None

Parameters

hHANDLEHandle to dimension.

noteSTRINGNote string.

Remarks

Sets note text (text under dimension line or dimension text) of the referenced dimension to the specified value.

[ao 3/6/14]

Example

SetDimNote(dimHandle,'DLO');