SketchUp import splits up textures

Andy Broomell

Question

I've had numerous instances lately where I import a SketchUp file and Vectorworks produces hundreds of seemingly identical textures:

Screen_Shot_2018-03-15_at_12_48.37_PM.thumb.png.f98ba464b162e8e00d5197f52c7a7ce7.png

If I go into SketchUp the file literally contains THREE different textures:

5aaacee41c1ac_ScreenShot2018-03-15at12_47_55PM.thumb.png.b4330e244785c52c09fbb23dab7a5994.png

I can't figure out why it happens in some files and not others, but I predict it has something to do with how the textures are mapped onto the polygons. Is this a bug, or working as needed to retain texture mapping? Any way to stop it from doing this? (Can I change something about the model in SketchUp?)

1 answer to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Apparently it has to do with if the creator had remapped the faces in sketchup a certain way, but I do not know what way that would be.

The only way I've been able to clean it up was to import SKPs into a new blank file that created textures for all materials, and run a Purge of textures. Often this deletes all but one or just a few, then the remainder can be deleted and remapped to a single remaining instance of the texture.