Palette causing graphic effect when moved

Does anyone know what I can do to stop this weird graphic effect when moving palettes. Similar thing has started happening on other office machines too...

Doesn't happen with the snap palette but does with all the others including the scipt palettes.

Also found it hard to get the palettes docking the way I wanted.

IMG_6905.JPG

most likely its a graphic card.  I am on mac but the same goes for all systems, in some cases depending on some particular settings in VW (wireframe, shaded, etc) graphic card fails to properly refresh.  I have not found a rule of thumb for this one and I am pretty sure the only cure is a new computer or graphic card if it makes sense.  I would check with VW tech but they are running on very high standards.

TKA is correct about the graphics card. Another cause could be having multiple programs open which use the graphics card so that it gets stressed a bit too much to update quickly enough. If that might be the case you could try closing some other programs to see if it goes away.

It shows more clearly with palettes, but it can happen too when moving objects in your drawing.

Your graphics card might be a little underpowered though, it being a GTX670 with 2GB VRAM.

Edited by Art V
43 minutes ago, Boh said:

Yes I've found some improvement when I close down other programs and files.

The odd thing is that about 4 people in the office are having the same issue at the same time.

Looking at the rest of your computer specs, 8GB of system memory is ok, but having 16GB would be better, your i7 is 5 generations older than the current one and though it should be reasonably fast it may contribute to a somewhat less fluent operation with later versions of VW. For VW2016 it should still be ok as it doesn't need as much power as VW2017/2018 with their new graphics engine but for VW2018 you're going to have some issues with this combination in the longer run even if it works ok now.

It could be that the CPU security updates may be having more of an effect with VW2016 than with VW2018, which could explain why it is happening now and not before, but I've seen similar behaviour at times in VW2016 too and usually it is an available ram (PC and/or GPU) issue and it is not always consistent.

I have 16GB of RAM on all my machines and it doesnt help, its all about the graphic card.  Also I would recommend the following:  dont use "zoom line thickness", check if you have too many "images" attache to the file, and lastly see if the file itself is too big.  Its rare but files do get corrupted, usually by one object.

4 hours ago, TKA said:

I have 16GB of RAM on all my machines and it doesnt help, its all about the graphic card.  Also I would recommend the following:  dont use "zoom line thickness", check if you have too many "images" attache to the file, and lastly see if the file itself is too big.  Its rare but files do get corrupted, usually by one object.

Yes and no, if general RAM is too low it can cause issues as well as the data needs to be moved from general RAM to VRAM and v.v. at some point and the OS takes a chunk too, sometimes general RAM is assigned for graphics card purposes etc. etc., i.e. they are not isolated from each other. So even though the graphics card is is very important, it does help to have some excess general RAM as well. Having 64GB would probably not make a difference at all for VW, but 8 or 16 GB can make a difference, and depending on your drawings even 32GB might be of use.