Paste in Place problems continue.....

even in VW11.0.1. I previously posted a query about a paste in place problem I was having while pasting drawing detail from one drawing blank to another. When pasting in place the object would be out in 'left field' nowhere to be found. I have tonite duplicated what I believe to be the cause of the problem.

I opened a new drawing as usual, Untitled 1. The default origion is the in the center of the drawing area, according to the manual. I drew a square in the cebter of the page and its Object Info coordinates were x=0, y=0. I then imported a small 177KB Autocad file. Import went smooth. When I used Object Info after the import the center square coordinates changed from 0,0 to x=307'8.3" and y=243'11.294". The objects imported right in the center of the page and their coordinates were also way out there.

I then went to Layer Setup and removed the imported layer. I closed the drawing and reopened it and the center square coordinates were still way out there even though the drawing remained in the center of the screen. I went through the manual info on Importing DXF/DWG and find no reference to 'Origin' upon import.

What is up with this??

I am only having this paste problem after an import. I thought the import issues were greatly improved.

Still muddling through the improvemnets...

Tom Marino

Tom,

The origin is usually changed when a dxf/dwg file is imported.

This is so the entire drawing is centered on the page without changing the coordinates.

I know you say the objects are way away from 0,0, but if you select all, you'll probably notice a locus or other 'clear' object in equal distance away from 0,0 on the other side of the axis.

Katie,

That's not it. I have no other objects on the other side of the axis as you mentioned. I only have the drawing contents.

If this 'Set Origin' is such an important move why is it not mentioned in the manual. The subject 'Set Origin' or even the word 'Origin'is not mentioned in manual section 16, pages 16-25 thru 16-35. I still don't understand how a thing like this just 'slips through the cracks' upon release of a VW version that touts new and improved import /export features.

Still muddling along.........

Tom

It's been like that for a while now. This is not new to VW 11.

The best thing to do is to import dxf/dwg files to a new document and then copy those items to the existing document you are working in.

Katie,

If I import the DWG files to a new document the coordinates still stay the same and when I try to copy them to a new drawing they paste in the wrong place unless both documents have the same origin. Remember when you open a new drawing the origin is centered in the drawing area. This becomes very cumbersome because now you have to check the origin on every drawing you have open to ensure that they are somewhat close for paste purposes.

Thanks,

Tom

If I may ask a slightly basic question, why are you using paste in place to go from a import to an existing drawing? If you just want to be close, wouldn't you just zoom to approximately where you wanted your items from the importm, and use the standard paste which would land in your window? at least on the mac, if I click with the cursor that will be a part of the pasted item (I think center) if you are zoomed out.

Maybe this isn't what you are trying to achieve, but if t helps....

Ion,

I am trying to paste common information such as Finish Notations, Material Notes etc. from one drawing to another as they fit. When doing a drawing from scratch this is not a problem. As soon as I import any DWG files all the coordinates change on all the layers so now I cannot just paste info from one to another. Now I have to reposition all the items because the import function screws all the coordinates up.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Tom

It's depend on how the dwg file has been drawn. You will get same coordinate as original dwg file after import process. I don't think it is VW error.

If you want to get as what you mention. Please go to Autocad first, correct the coordinate and then import it into VW.

I think you know what is X, Y, Z means.

TQ,

G-Pang

G-Pang,

How do I do that when the Autocad files are being sent to me via email??

I am not using the same programs and going from one to another.

Why is the import process affecting all layers on the drawing?? I can understand keeping the origin as drawn in AC, I am going to have to accept that, but why are the other layers being affected??

For example.........My drawing title block is on Layer 2 at 1-1 Scale. I open up a quick document to send out info and I copy and paste the title block. If I had any import data that I put on that sheet first and then try and paste the title block it will be out in space someplace. This is only when I 'Paste in Place' and not when you just 'Paste', that's the kicker.

To me that is a VW problem, plain and simple.

Thanks,

Tom

Katie,

When you do a paste in place after import the Layer coordinates DO change! Attached under seperate email cover you will find three files. The first is a simple drawing blank that opens when you go to New. I added a title block to the lower right corner in Layer 1. When you go to object info the rectangle shows coordinates of x=1/2" and y=-2 1/2".

The second file shows the same drawing with imported dwg data on Layer 2. Now after import when you go back to Layer 1 and check the title block coordinates they have now changed to x=523'3.154" and y=1321'3.809".

This only happens after import. The third file is the DWG I imported the data from.

This is a very simple exercise that you should be able to duplicate to show the problem.

I have never had this problem when drawing on multiple sheets , only when an import is involved.

Try it!

Thanks,

Tom Marino

Since earlier Minicad version.... VWA always import DWg files through a blank file. Only VW 11 allow you to import direct to current active file. It it not recomended ( by me , not NNA ) unless you willing to sacrify or coordinate setting is not important for you.

I had read about it somewhere but cannot recall.

The artical has mention about it. I will try to find it and let everybody know.

G-Pang

G-Pang,

You are correct, importing into a document with data would not work with previous versions, but with all the work done to provide better import/export features don't you think this type of problem would be at least recognized and resolved or at least mentioned. What good does importing into a blank document when the data has to be used on a current VW drawing??

Let's face it, there are more "other" users out there VW users and we have to be able to share the information on a std platform, of sorts, in order to do our daily work.

Thanks,

Tom Marino

I think you should learn purpose of importing dwg files and the tricks. Importing dwg not only for purpose as you mention.

Have you try import a survey plan with GPS coordinate + bearing etc. Think about it. What informations are important here? How you want the imported file to be looks like?

If you don't want to screw up you current VW file. Simply import it as symbol.

G-Pang